so the air can get under it
What size circle do it need to cut?
the only reason I want to use the aluminum is that is the only thing I have
right now .I used all my small pieces on wood to start fire in the wood stove
and I don't want to venture out in the cold
thanks
BillyBoy63

robutacion

I suggest you make that plate a couple of mm smaller than the pot diameter close to the base (before it concaves) then, to have a good fit, there is, to stop the plate straight edges to make the plate move around and get out of level, you chamfer/grind/sand the inside bottom edge about 45 degrees or so that the plate sits on the pot concave bottom keeping it stable. Drill only one large hole at the plate centre, 1" or more, this will allow you to remove it fairly easy.

That bottom plate needs to stay flat, if you find that still moves a bit, don't worry, grab some silicone and put some in 4 places (cross type) put the plate back and put some weight on top, the next day the pot is ready to be put to work.

I have done this exact thing on mine but I used 10mm plywood:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

chartle

I suggest you make that plate a couple of mm smaller than the pot diameter close to the base (before it concaves) then, to have a good fit, there is, to stop the plate straight edges to make the plate move around and get out of level, you chamfer/grind/sand the inside bottom edge about 45 degrees or so that the plate sits on the pot concave bottom keeping it stable. Drill only one large hole at the plate centre, 1" or more, this will allow you to remove it fairly easy.

That bottom plate needs to stay flat, if you find that still moves a bit, don't worry, grab some silicone and put some in 4 places (cross type) put the plate back and put some weight on top, the next day the pot is ready to be put to work.

I have done this exact thing on mine but I used 10mm plywood:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

I also did the same with a piece of this crappy plywood I bought a while ago. I didn't add silicone but I put 4 blocks of craft foam on the edge. They securely wedge the bottom in.

Weather stripping would also work if you a few inches of scrap.

Top Bottom