Polymer Clay ... I have questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chilprufe

I have been experimenting with polymer clay to make a few blanks but have a few issues ... I'm in need of some advice.

1. which is the best clay to use for machining ?

2. what would you recommend to use for a high gloss finish ?

any other advice would be greatly appreciated ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Sculpty clay. Bake 30 minutes at 250 degrees. Sand thru micromesh 12,000. I use 2 coats of medium ca, the use micromesh 6,000, 8,000, 12,000. Use Triple EEE polish then hut acrylic polish. It will shine like glass.

Chilprufe

I get it from the local craft shop and i would say it costs me about 65p = $1 for each blank i make but it takes a little while to make the canes when you get started

ghostrider

I've used Premo, Schulpey III, Kato, Cernit, Fimo, and Fimo soft.

I've been told that Schulpey III doesn't hold up well over time and can crumble. I've read that Cernit and Kato are the most durable (they also are the toughest to kneed (sp?)). I like Kato because of the durability, and Premo because of the colors. Kato has the highest bake time, which can translate to how hot it can get before it starts to break down while turning.

I've got one pen made from Schulpey III, one from Cernit, one from Premo, and several from Kato. Cernit and Schulpey Pens are about a year old. Cernit holds up well. I'll check on the Schulpey KKK

Chilprufe

Thanks a lot, i've never seen kato PC it may not be readily available in UK, but cernit is, I'll give it a try

Top Bottom