Casting Playing Card Blanks how to?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oljswartz

I've been looking for info on making some of the Playing Card pen blanks but I haven't found any Tutorials. Has anyone done these blanks before, the possibilities seem endless (so many Decks out there with great artwork on them.) any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Looking at the blank
I would think you would need to find the dimension of the tube and cut the card to size. Then attach it starting at one side and slowly roll it around the tube till it meets.
I might leave it a little long then try it to cast then when i square the ends it the card would be even with the tube.

it might take a few tries to get it right and you might find a different way to complete it while doing it.

jttheclockman

I've been looking for info on making some of the Playing Card pen blanks but I haven't found any Tutorials. Has anyone done these blanks before, the possibilities seem endless (so many Decks out there with great artwork on them.) any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Not sure how versed in casting you are but that is what they are. It is done like any other casting. Finding the right cards is tricky. You will need to be able to use cards that can be delaminated. In other words cards that have multiple layers. You take them apart and this makes them easier to bend. Some of the plastic cards are thin enough you can bend them easily. The other problem is being able to utilize the design in the cards to fit the tubes with a nice look. The seams will be an issue but if you can match the design the seam sort of disappears. This is very much like doing decal work. Which cards can be copied and made into decal form and used that way too and then you can manipulate the look better. Mini cards are available and may not have the interesting backs to them so that can limit you. But it is not hard to do if you have the ability to cast or do decal work. Good luck.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Like JT said, delaminating the cards is the key and the rest of his explanation is the closest thing to a tutorial that you're likely to find.

The fellow who has mastered the process sells his blanks, so he's not too inclined to share the details of his techniques - can't really criticize him for that; however, the general procedure is as JT described, so have at it if you like a challenge. Just keep in mind that there's a good reason that you don't see many people doing this - it isn't trivial.

Good luck & be sure to let us know if you're able to get good results.

All the information to do them is here, you just need to take the time to put it to practice. I've been doing them for a little over a year now, and yes I do sell them, hence the reason no how to has been posted. There are a few others I know of that have tried them, but have since given up. Really the hardest part is keeping the cards looking good when you delaminate them, and sizing them right.

They're ok.....

Thank you Les!

Attachments

• 093037.jpg
    093037.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 669
  • 092946.jpg
    092946.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 676

jttheclockman

I was going to suggest the Zen kit because you can use almost the entire length of the card but still need to choose the seam area well. Looks good.

Top Bottom