Casting Pigments - Polyurethane - Polyester

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tor

:befuddled:

Hello,

I have some Jacquard Pearl Ex Mica Powder Pigment that i use for polyester resin, does anyone know if this is suitable for Polyurethane resin?

Thanks in advance:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Oh, thought you already had it and was wondering if it would work. Is there a reason you want to try a different type of resin? I know I like to experiment so I would just buy it, but I have a lot of $$$$ tied up in failures. But as Edison said "I didn't fail 10000 times. I just discovered 10000 things that won't work".

Tor

Oh, thought you already had it and was wondering if it would work. Is there a reason you want to try a different type of resin? I know I like to experiment so I would just buy it, but I have a lot of $$$$ tied up in failures. But as Edison said "I didn't fail 10000 times. I just discovered 10000 things that won't work".

I might buy it, polyester resin smells too much and shrink to much, i want to turn using wood and acrylic.

Polyester resin does not work for this i think and i am not sure what the cost will be to get Alumilite to the UK.

Cheers
:beauty:

Sylvanite

I have successfully used mica powder as a colorant in both Silmar 41 (a clear polyester casting resin) and Alumilite Clear (a clear urethane casting resin). I tried it once in Alumilite White (an opaque urethane casting resin) to try to add sparkle in addition to the dyes, but I couldn't see that it had any effect at all. I haven't tried clear epoxy resin myself (others here have), but I expect that mica powder would work fine there.

Polyurethane and acrylic are different plastics that are frequently and incorrectly confused with urethane, polyester, and epoxy resins. I suppose you could make blanks out of polyurethane "bar-top finish", but I haven't heard of anybody doing it. I'm not aware of any acrylic casting resins available to the hobby market.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Top Bottom