Nice find

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

I was on my property last week and found a nice rotting tree.
I will stabilize it and use some for a pen or two and some for a cheese knife handle. I'll post picks when they are done.

spalting.jpg

spalting2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

Not sure what species it started as, the property is covered with Maple, Ash, Elm, and basswood - so any one of them I suppose. The more solid parts of it look a bit like maple, so I'm leaning maple.

KenV

You may be readt to move to cactus juice for some of the pieces. The is some advanced decay so there will be "punky" pieces. Dye colored cactus juice will make some very good stuff!!

sfhipchick

OH YUMMY!!!! Those blanks are absolutely STUNNING!!! Isn't it grand to find gold laying around on your own property?! :) Well done! :)

I would agree about stabilizing that wood...before I understood about stabilizing, I turned a pen from a spalted blank I got. It kept chipping out and I learned on my own to use CA glue as I went to keep it from exploding. I got a nice pen and learned about the quality of wood too. That was many years ago and I didn't know there were ways to stabilize wood in a better way. Now we have a vacuum chamber and Cactus Juice. I have two lovely spalted pen blanks just waiting for my attention!

Grats again on your fabulous find, and I can't wait to see the results of your turning! :)

BeeAMaker

First project!
I stabilized some of the wood into pen blanks. I tried to die it with a blue tint, but didn't get near enough die in the CJ. The wood does have a very faint aqua tint to it, but really can't tell. So the die job was a bust, but this 2mm pencil turned out nice.
CA finish

Pen_25a.jpg

Pen_25b.jpg

Pen_25c.jpg

Pen_25d.jpg

Pen_25e.jpg

Last edited:

Talltim

Beemaker

Can you tell me a bit about the log to pen process. I have some found wood and am interested in the steps.

Drying, blank cutting etc.

BeeAMaker

Beemaker

Can you tell me a bit about the log to pen process. I have some found wood and am interested in the steps.

Drying, blank cutting etc.

Note: you might want to wear a mask as breathing the dust may or may not cause health issues before it is stabilized.

I ripped the log in half on band saw, then I can cut into 3/4" x 3/4 x 5" blanks on the table saw (or what ever size you need). My wood was dry already, but if it is wet from rain or what ever, let it air dry.

Then I placed in my vacuum chamber with some Cactus Juice and drew a vacuum until all the air was out of the wood and replaced with CJ. (in some of my pieces it pulled the ants out of the wood also )

Then baked @200f for 2 hours. - ready to turn.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Top Bottom