Need advice on making Abalone blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

upstatepano

Looking to try my hand at making Abalone blanks. Have acquired the Abalone strips and need advice on the best method to adhere them to the tube. I remember reading somewhere about using clear nail polish but can't find the article. Did a search of the forums but not having much luck. Any advice on making the blanks would be much appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyz

Yes to clear nail polish. Dab it on a strip and place it carefully, as straight as possible, on the blank. Continue to place strips as close as possible around the tube. When finished, let it dry for a day, cast it, and finish as you would any other acrylic pen blank.

We did it as a penturning meeting "hands on" exercise, and everyone was very happy with the results. One of the members then case the blanks for those who did not the required materials.

Good luck!

upstatepano

Yes to clear nail polish. Dab it on a strip and place it carefully, as straight as possible, on the blank. Continue to place strips as close as possible around the tube. When finished, let it dry for a day, cast it, and finish as you would any other acrylic pen blank.

We did it as a penturning meeting "hands on" exercise, and everyone was very happy with the results. One of the members then case the blanks for those who did not the required materials.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input, I"ll give it a try.

PatrickR

Thanks. I seem to remember coming across that and seeing that people have problems once it gets too small a diameter. I was thinking of cutting the sheets into strips so that the pattern would match.

upstatepano

Thanks. I seem to remember coming across that and seeing that people have problems once it gets too small a diameter. I was thinking of cutting the sheets into strips so that the pattern would match.

i tried cutting them as well but no luck there either.

jttheclockman

The people who sell those blanks use a laser to cut the strips. You are limited when buying precut strips. Also every tube is not the same diameter so you need to adjust. I found if you are making one or two blanks for use a good razor knife with a carbide blade works well. One of these days I may do a few and write up some tips. Just too much on the plate.

jttheclockman

Has anyone tried a Cricut machine to cut strips?

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

I do not know what that is but will say some of that flex abalone is thin enough that a paper cutter has been used. I get the thicker stuff and can not cut with a
paper cutter guillotine because it cracks it. Some also have been able to use a good sharp pair of scissors. Again I have not been able too.

lhowell

I buy 3M adhesive backed sheets and use a small 6" steel scale as a straight edge to cut the sheets along with an extremely sharp X-Acto knife.

Be careful using anything that can cause the abalone dust to become airborne such as grinding tools. Apparently mother of pearl and abalone dust is extremely toxic and in some cases can be fatal if breathed in.

upstatepano

I buy 3M adhesive backed sheets and use a small 6" steel scale as a straight edge to cut the sheets along with an extremely sharp X-Acto knife.

Be careful using anything that can cause the abalone dust to become airborne such as grinding tools. Apparently mother of pearl and abalone dust is extremely toxic and in some cases can be fatal if breathed in.

I tried this product before but it has apparently been redesigned to a thinner material which should be better. I'll give it another try.

Top Bottom