MPG Blanks - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinohio View Post
Ooh, I didn't know you were making Tru-stone ones too. How many of those do you think you'll have? I like those and the ones with the Herringbone type insert like you did at the demo. I'll have to grab a couple!

Lewis
G'Day Lewis.

I suspect I will have 5 of the tru-stone blanks, as that is what I have left from my "old stock" Tru-stone blanks (2012-1014). However, I have a few more uncut Trustone blanks, so we can chat if you want a different combination.

And... I can show you how to make these yourself. No knowledge lost!!!

Cheers, Mark
Awesome, I'll be there early Friday and all day Saturday. I'll want to buy one for sure when you start selling them at the show. I do like the black with gold tru-stone you show as an example. I don't have any specific requests. Just want to get a couple of your awesome blanks and benefit the IAP at the same time

As far as making them goes, I really don't have any patience for cutting stuff to exactly uniform thickness and don't have a drum sander. I also don't have a lot of tolerance for segmenting in general.

If I get material that is already exactly the same thickness I don't mind segmenting. I looked at the website you mentioned at the demo and can get stuff locally, but I just can't get interested in doing it!

I do have access to a drum sander but I try to limit the amount of times I use my friends tools and knowledge. Don't want to use up a resource if you know what I mean.

Lewis
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 313

I do like the black with gold tru-stone you show as an example. I don't have any specific requests. Just want to get a couple of your awesome blanks and benefit the IAP at the same time

As far as making them goes, I really don't have any patience for cutting stuff to exactly uniform thickness and don't have a drum sander. I also don't have a lot of tolerance for segmenting in general.

If I get material that is already exactly the same thickness I don't mind segmenting. I looked at the website you mentioned at the demo and can get stuff locally, but I just can't get interested in doing it!

I do have access to a drum sander but I try to limit the amount of times I use my friends tools and knowledge. Don't want to use up a resource if you know what I mean.

Lewis[/quote]

G'Day Lewis! I fully agree with your comments.

I have played with Polymer Clay - I'll buy from those that are skilled!

I admire Abalone Blanks - Again, I'll buy from those that are skilled.

I admire Feather blanks - and again, I'll buy from those that are more skilled than I.

I have NO HESITATION to explain/show/assist others to make the Chevron blanks (and the Tru-Stone Blanks), or any others I make. Basically, they are very time-consuming, and very "fussy" to be accurate. Anyone want to make them... Be my guest!

Finally, I'll show anyone how to make these. There will always be a market for those that have no interest in making them themselves. As I with Polymer clay, Abalone, Feathers, etc... I love these mediums, but after poking with the skills needed, decided that it is better to buy nice blanks than to take 2-6 months and $$$ to learn the skills neded, and to produce below average quality blanks.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Exactly! New disciplines are time consuming and can be hard to learn, for me at least...
Advertisement
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads