Mixing wood with Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

I have a spalted blank I am making for a pepper grinder. There is a vain in the wood that is really spongy and soft. I want to dig that out and fill it with Alumilite. Does anyone know the proper procedure I should take?

Do I dig the soft stuff out then stabilize before adding in the Alumilite or do I dig it out and then add in the alumilite before stabilizing. Seems to me the first one is the most logical.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I doubt you want to subject the cured alumanite urethane resin to a sustained 180 degrees F + temperature needed to cure cactus juice.

bmachin

Seems to me that your best bet would be to call Curtis at turntex.com since he is our local guru on both Alumilite and Cactus Juice.

Bill

Kenny Durrant

First you want to stabilize the wood before casting. As far as digging out anything unless you just don't like the looks of it when you finish stabilizing the soft spot should be good as new. If you don't like the looks it would be easier to clean out before the stabilizing process.

BeeAMaker

First you want to stabilize the wood before casting. As far as digging out anything unless you just don't like the looks of it when you finish stabilizing the soft spot should be good as new. If you don't like the looks it would be easier to clean out before the stabilizing process.

Right - I am making a Salt and Pepper grinder set, so the plan is to dig this vein out and fill one with black pearl essence, and the other with white pearl essence - Salt and Pepper. :)

Top Bottom