Making my own bourbon blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodLM

Hey y'all!
So I have the privalege of having a distillery in my family! Later this year we will be releasing a bourbon. I have been asked to make some pens out of the barrels, so my question is do I need to do anything special for the drying of the wood? Anyone one here have any experience with something like this? (Yes Indiana turners... I'll bring some of the whiskey we already have out to the get together:biggrin:)

CREID

Hey y'all!
So I have the privalege of having a distillery in my family! Later this year we will be releasing a bourbon. I have been asked to make some pens out of the barrels, so my question is do I need to do anything special for the drying of the wood? Anyone one here have any experience with something like this? (Yes Indiana turners... I'll bring some of the whiskey we already have out to the get together:biggrin:)

Well, first thing you have to do is empty the barrels. You can send me one and I will empty it for you at no charge. :biggrin:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Bring some to the meeting!!!!!!! And for the record, i'm in the belief that Hoosier's don't know anything about bourbon :biggrin:

Curly

Since I won't be there and have a preference for Rye Whiskey anyway I'll give you my experience with a wine barrel.

Cut it into strips the same width as the thickness of the stave itself. Then cut into blanks longer than you need by an inch or so in case the ends crack a bit. Put them in the kitchen oven set to warm and turn the oven off. Turn on the oven light. It will keep the oven warm. Leave the blanks in it for a couple days and you should be good to go.

Top Bottom