Making my own bourbon blanks? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Talking Making my own bourbon blanks?

Hey y'all!
So I have the privalege of having a distillery in my family! Later this year we will be releasing a bourbon. I have been asked to make some pens out of the barrels, so my question is do I need to do anything special for the drying of the wood? Anyone one here have any experience with something like this? (Yes Indiana turners... I'll bring some of the whiskey we already have out to the get together)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLM View Post
Hey y'all!
So I have the privalege of having a distillery in my family! Later this year we will be releasing a bourbon. I have been asked to make some pens out of the barrels, so my question is do I need to do anything special for the drying of the wood? Anyone one here have any experience with something like this? (Yes Indiana turners... I'll bring some of the whiskey we already have out to the get together)
Well, first thing you have to do is empty the barrels. You can send me one and I will empty it for you at no charge.
CREID is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Bring some to the meeting!!!!!!! And for the record, i'm in the belief that Hoosier's don't know anything about bourbon

Check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/EBWoodworx/
EBorraga is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2016, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Since I won't be there and have a preference for Rye Whiskey anyway I'll give you my experience with a wine barrel.

Cut it into strips the same width as the thickness of the stave itself. Then cut into blanks longer than you need by an inch or so in case the ends crack a bit. Put them in the kitchen oven set to warm and turn the oven off. Turn on the oven light. It will keep the oven warm. Leave the blanks in it for a couple days and you should be good to go.
Curly is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads