Lichtenberg fractal pen blank??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

Just wondering if anyone has used this technique on a pen blank before. Searching the site I've seen a few fractal projects but not on a pen. Don't know how deep it penetrates so you'd probably have to turn it pretty close to finished size.

Just something to make you go hmmmm.
K55cC2um.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

VERY interesting !!! . . I hope you will keep us posted about any further developments of this design.

Last edited:

magpens

It's OK ... I am used to working with high voltage ... I am a physicist :) ... or used to be.

chartle

This also covers the practice and some of the dangers, and apparently there a tools designed to produce it. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...MI0q6Em6KO4QIVkZ-fCh2sOAQ3EAQYASABEgKWZfD_BwE

There is a link to the acticle about its dangers.

Your wood craft link points to a wood burning pen power supply but there is an article linked below.

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/fractal-burning-it-s-electrifying

I just know there are 2 different ways to create the power, a microwave or a neon light transformer. With the former being cheaper but the later more safe.

chartle

Just wanted to add, yes I've thought if/how this would work for pens but since I think it travels across the surface you would have to do it turned down to final size or at least close. At that thickness, even if you did it safely you would set it up and poof instant clean tube. :)

Also there is the tube which is brass which would do other odd things to the setup.

Maybe we could just do a Fractal burned label cast.

cozee

Stay out of your cars, nearly 40,000 auto related deaths in 2018.
Stay out of your houses, over 18,000 deaths per year are due to accidents in the home.
Don't walk, over 500 a year die from tripping or stumbling.
Don't take a bath, over 300 people die a year by drowning in a bath tub.

Anything can kill you if you make a mistake. If we allow mistakes to keep us from doing something, then we are living in fear. Fractal Burning, when done properly is quite safe and need not to be feared. Respected? Yes, but not feared. No different than the lathe we hover over to turn pens.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Stay out of your cars, nearly 40,000 auto related deaths in 2018.
Stay out of your houses, over 18,000 deaths per year are due to accidents in the home.
Don't walk, over 500 a year die from tripping or stumbling.
Don't take a bath, over 300 people die a year by drowning in a bath tub.

Anything can kill you if you make a mistake. If we allow mistakes to keep us from doing something, then we are living in fear. Fractal Burning, when done properly is quite safe and need not to be feared. Respected? Yes, but not feared. No different than the lathe we hover over to turn pens.

Greg...Well said I love your avatar pic!:eek:

Top Bottom