Laser Cut Helically Segmented Sierra Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ken Wines

This is 5 strand, one revolution helical blank that was laser cut and fits Sierra tubes. I cut 4 segments from 5 species of wood and pieced 4 blanks together from the results. You're probably wondering why 4 total blanks and not 5. The segment's are width adjusted to compensate for laser kerf which rendered the 5th segment in each source blank smaller than the others. The first photo is a glued up blank. The second photo shows the source blanks. The third photo is the glued up blank on the left and the other three non glued blanks. The woods are osage orange, aromatic red cedar, walnut, cherry and maple.

Attachments

• IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    514.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3675.JPG
    IMG_3675.JPG
    445.8 KB · Views: 217
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Super job on these spirals! Glad you compensated for the kerf.
In looking at these, I realized this is left handed as in a bolt with left hand threads. How hard is it to tell the laser to do a mirror image...right hand twist?
Just curious.

Ken Wines

Super job on these spirals! Glad you compensated for the kerf.
In looking at these, I realized this is left handed as in a bolt with left hand threads. How hard is it to tell the laser to do a mirror image...right hand twist?
Just curious.
Charlie, It's rather simple to change the rotation. It's just a matter of flipping the cut lines, one mouse button operation.

Top Bottom