Segmenting I really should stop with watching Youtube for Ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmcclellan

Well when you work nights in front of a computer you tend to do a lot of YouTube watching to pass time. Watched a video of taking construction paper to glue up into blocks to add colored lines to the blanks. I told my wife about it and you guessed it I am trying it. So far on the progress:

IMG_4491.JPG

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4494.JPG

IMG_4495.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmcclellan

I'm guessing you've been watching RJBWoodturner's videos. It looks like the blanks have turned out good, let us know how it goes.

Yep I love his videos. For a newbie like me he makes them super understandable. I also love how he will show failures and fixes. I am itching to try his color pencil idea.

I tried this process in a segmented bowl, using three layers for color between segments. After having it come apart on the lathe several times at the paper joints, I set it aside as a failed experiment. It acted just like the paper glue joint between a bottom of a bowl and the waste block. Granted, the weight and size of the bowl likely contributed to the failures along with the vibration forces from turning. On a pen blank, I imagine it will work fine.

Skie_M

I tried this process in a segmented bowl, using three layers for color between segments. After having it come apart on the lathe several times at the paper joints, I set it aside as a failed experiment. It acted just like the paper glue joint between a bottom of a bowl and the waste block. Granted, the weight and size of the bowl likely contributed to the failures along with the vibration forces from turning. On a pen blank, I imagine it will work fine.

Were you using CA?

Try it next time using a decent epoxy, and let it fully cure. Also let it fully soak into the paper.

Micarta generally turns just fine on a lathe, but you need to watch the dust, and laminated epoxy layers = micarta.

Bob (RJB) would be proud! You should let him know how it worked out, he's always happy to receive comments and spends a good amount of time replying to them.

Top Bottom