I can see clearly now...(clear PVC casting)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob in SF

I stumbled onto this clear pvc pipe:
FORMUFIT P034FGP-UV-5 Schedule 40 PVC Pipe, Furniture Grade, 5', 3/4" Size, Clear
(amazon.com)

It has a light blue tint, but now I can clearly see my colors and inclusions, swirling and manipulating them with a wire as necessary under direct vision.

It works very well for PR casting - will try Alumilite with plenty of Stoner mold release later this week.

Warm regards to all - Bob

attachment.php

Attachments

• ClearPVCCasting,markison,mar,2016,signed,800px.jpg
    ClearPVCCasting,markison,mar,2016,signed,800px.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 1,011
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

It seems like the clear PVC would take all the mystery and surprise out of casting. I could probably use a little less mystery and surprise in some of my castings. Thanks for sharing.

Ed

Bob in SF

It seems like the clear PVC would take all the mystery and surprise out of casting. I could probably use a little less mystery and surprise in some of my castings. Thanks for sharing.

Ed

Ed - The technique just lets you dial the "mystery and surprise" up or down - probably worth doing some side-by-side trials of clear/manipulated PVC alongside opaque white PVC using similar ingredients - or maybe doing the clear with the lights out (while wearing casual shoes) for some maximal surprise.

- Bob

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'll really be interested to hear of your results with Alumilite & the mold release spray.

From what I've read, Alumilite doesn't shrink while curing like PR and therefore doesn't work well for casting in PVC tubes. BUT if you find a method that works, please be sure to share your technique.

Ed McDonnell

Ed - The technique just lets you dial the "mystery and surprise" up or down - probably worth doing some side-by-side trials of clear/manipulated PVC alongside opaque white PVC using similar ingredients - or maybe doing the clear with the lights out (while wearing casual shoes) for some maximal surprise.

- Bob

Hi Bob - Hmmmmm...casting in the dark while wearing casual shoes....I wonder if I should use a release agent on my shoes? Maybe not. I could find out if there is a demand for SEIR ("sandals embedded in resin" tm) pen blanks. That would definitely be a maximal surprise.

Ed

Bob in SF

Edgar - I'll keep you posted when I try Alumilite.

Curt - Glad we listened to the same tune!

Ed - SEIR - like it!
Could be the start of a taxidermist's dream.

CREID

Edgar - I'll keep you posted when I try Alumilite.

Curt - Glad we listened to the same tune!

Ed - SEIR - like it!
Could be the start of a taxidermist's dream.

Are you one of those that listen to the radio loud enough so you don't have to hear yourself sing?:biggrin:

Skeels

I'll really be interested to hear of your results with Alumilite & the mold release spray.

From what I've read, Alumilite doesn't shrink while curing like PR and therefore doesn't work well for casting in PVC tubes. BUT if you find a method that works, please be sure to share your technique.

I've made a few dozen blanks using alumilite cast on PVC pipe. I don't use any mold release.. at all. I use 7" pipe and fill to the length I need usually leaving 2" of free pipe. After curing I take my tape (or rubber cork) off the bottom. I flip the pipe over so the previously taped side is facing up and use a rod of whatever size will fit in the pipe an hit it with my hammer. Sometimes it take a hit or two but once free it moves somewhat easy. I take it to my vise and open it to where the blank just fits between the jaws and have at it til the blank is on the floor. U can use the pipe over and don't even need to clean it up. I've isws the same pipe a couple times and the come out te same every time!

Skeels

Clear PVC might just have to be my next purchace lol. My only problem... I have all the free pvc I could ever want at work...

Rounder

I have used these to pour into. Baby Soda Bottles - Giant Test Tubes | Steve Spangler Science . At .80 apiece not to bad. I drilled a small hole in the bottom and used air to push the blank out. These are actually what they make soda bottles out of. When heated in a mold and injected with air, they become thin soda bottles. They come with the caps and a neat little stand to hold them. P.S. In looking at the web site, they may not come with the stand but mine did when I ordered a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Not sure this will help you casters but it is what I cast my clear casts in. I use thin wall clear casting tubes. I leave them on the cast and they are easily spun off. Now the place I buy them from is Visipak and I buy by the case. That is over 200 at 48" lengths. I will have enough for my casting life time but cheaper this way. Maybe you casters can get together and divide a case. It is so much easier than stripping the tubes. Here is an example of my casts.
https://store.visipak.com/7-8-x-4-Thin-Wall-Round-Clear-Plastic-Tube.html

More4dan

Clear PVC also makes a great vacuum chamber for stabilizing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 202
Top Bottom