Help with winter casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marines1407

Hello all,

I am having trouble getting my blanks to cure in the cold weather. During the summer my blanks would cure over night. Now they take days to cure. Should I have done a lot of casting over the summer? Are heat lamps an option? I do not have a climate controlled shop and it has been unusually cold here in TN.
Any suggestions on speeding up the process when the temp drops?

I am using Simlar 41 and mostly tube-in casts of carbon fiber. I cast in a silicone mold without a pressure pot.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mdm0829

I am in Tennessee, too. I heat the resin for about 10 secs. In microwave. After pouring, I put them in a plastic storage container that I mounted a bulb holder in. Using a 100 watt bulb, the temp stays about 80 in unheard garage area. I usually leave overnight, but I have taken them out in 2-3 hours. After I take them out of the mold, I leave them in the box to fully degas, so I don't get the smell (using PR)

seamus7227

wow! I use 3 drops per ounce and I measure the resin in graduated mixing cups, heat the resin in the ultrasonic cleaner for one cycle(480 seconds,temp 140-150), put under pressure overnight and they are good to go by the next evening. The ambient temperature will be 30-70degrees

Chasper

I use four drops per ounce, put the resin/catalyst mix in vaccuum for 8-10 minutes before pouring. After pouring put the filled mold in a toaster overn at 110-115 degree for 45-60 miuntes. Let cool for an hour before demolding. Let cool another hour before turning. Same process winter or summer.

Top Bottom