help with carbon fiber hazing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptainJane

Hello. I am learning to cast my own blanks, and as a sailboat racer, I like the carbon fiber blanks. I am gluing the carbon fiber sleeves on the tubes with thin Glu-Boost CA (have also tried other brands), letting them cure for a few days, then casting in Alumilite Slow.

My problem is that the carbon fiber is not bonding entirely to the Alumilite in places. and looks a little hazy in places. Thought about wiping everything down with denatured alcohol, or roughing the carbon fiber up - before casting.

I figure you watch parts guys have seen this before

Any thoughts anyone?

JohnU

I use Silmar 41 resin with carbon fiber and not had any problems. I know CA and alumilite don't always get along. That might be your problem. Could also be humidity moisture. Try warming your blanks under a clamp light inside the pressure tank for 15-20 mins prior to pouring. That will help. Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Never used alumilite for casting but can throw a few thoughts out there. That glu-ghost is a new product and maybe it is not compatible with alum. All CA off gases so you may have to let sit and cure before casting. I too use epoxy resins or Silmar. Do not roughen the carbon fiber. That dust is toxic so be careful. Being I use Silmar I glue my sleeves on with the same resin and then add a thin layer to seal it before casting. Now doing watch parts I use Epoxy resins mainly Liquid Diamonds.

Top Bottom