Casting Hello mbroberg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Mike

I was thinking of a thread you started some time ago because i am interested in the white carbon fiber.

Here is the thread

www.penturners.org/forum/f178/decals-white-carbon-fiber-134912/

Whatever became of this idea??? Also is the carbon fiber you are using here in sleeve form and if so could you mention where you got it and what size are you using??? Have some ideas I want to try in the future. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
John - not sure I can help with the carbon fiber, but ever since you and a few others posted about thread weaving, I have been playing around with it. I am far from creating the cool designs, but I have been fairly successful in winding a single color around a tube. Since the thread is a lot thinner than carbon fiber and there are many colors to use, I thought it may provide a good background for those who like tube-on castings. Was even hoping to have a bash entry with one of these, but that part didn't come out as well as I would have liked. Again, not sure if you specifically wanted the texture of carbon fiber, but if you want to add another to your ever growing list, have at it.

jttheclockman

Hello Bruce

Yes and yes and yes.:)

I too have some thread that I want to play around with but it is the stuff used on pool cues. I have some cool ideas for making a few of these.

What I was looking for in the carbon fiber is another medium or something else to play with. I have both the original black in different weave patterns but also fiberglass in 2 colors. I was thinking I could use the white CF and tint the resin in various transluscent colors and get some cool effects and it would look like the CF was dyed. Just a theory now. I have seen it done with stainless steel braiding. Looks cool. Thanks.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hello Mike

I was thinking of a thread you started some time ago because i am interested in the white carbon fiber.

Here is the thread

www.penturners.org/forum/f178/decals-white-carbon-fiber-134912/

Whatever became of this idea??? Also is the carbon fiber you are using here in sleeve form and if so could you mention where you got it and what size are you using??? Have some ideas I want to try in the future. Thanks

Hi John,

Sorry I couldn't get back with you earlier. As some suggested in the earlier thread the problem seems to be with the taper at the end of the tubes. Applying the carbon fiber to the tube with epoxy allowing it to squeeze through the carbon fiber then smoothing it out helps a lot. Sand down any ridges then build up with some CA so the ends are not tapered (a Sierra Vista is recommended as it is thicker than a regular Sierra. The decal then seals better. I was making progress with this (as described) but had to turn attention to some other things. I haven't abandon the idea, just haven't been able to play with it for awhile.

Carbon fiber is a generic term. What I used were actually fiberglass sleeves. 1/2 inch, from http://www.sollercomposites.com,carbon fiber,carbon fiber sleeve,Kevlar sleeve, fiberglass sleeves,carbon fiber fabric,epoxy,west system epoxy,nitrile,gloves,nitrile gloves,aramid,fiberglass,kevlar,tape,biaxial tape, biaxial sleeve

Top Bottom