Segmenting Gluing Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

I've recently acquired some 2" Corian squares that I want to glue up to make some Cigar pens.
Now I have been reading about gluing the Corian pieces together and most of the articles state that when you are gluing two pieces together you should glue the shiny side of one piece to the shiny side of the other piece. This means that you have two dull sides out.
What I have not found is what you do after you have the two pieces shiny side to shiny side and you glue on the next piece. Do you glue shiny side to dull side or dull side to dull side? Or does it really make any difference?
There was a thread sometime ago about doing this but I have been unable to find it.
I hope someone who has experience doing this will enlighten me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

What's worked for me
- scratch up any shiny or smooth surfaces with pretty course sand paper, 80 grit
- use 2 part epoxy or Gorilla glue
- clamp the living **** out of it :)

The Penguin

here's how you do it...and one of the best Corian turners in the world is a friend of mine...

glue shiny to shiny and dull to dull - if you look at Corian from the side, you'll see that there is a "gradient" in the amount of fill/color in the material. The most texture is towards the shiny side. By alternating, you make the changes in color less drastic.

glue using thick CA.

I'm not sure what Andy uses to rough up Corian between layers - not 80, maybe 120.

MikeinSC

I will typically will give the pieces a light sanding to ensure they are flat. I use medium thick CA and clamp it down. Ive not had any piece show a visible line unless you look really really hard and know what to look for.

I also pay no attention to it being originally being shiny or dull because once the piece is lapped flat, its dull anyway.

Top Bottom