First cast - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 59

That might work well with the Liquid Diamond resin. All of the reviews that I read and saw on youtube stressed how well it worked with tube in casting.
eharri446 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiprat View Post
Results look great Paul. Did you degrease the chips before attaching to the tubes?
Im also impressed that the colouring remained after casting.....I'm gonna use that I didn't think they would, somehow.
I did not degrease the chips first. I have some chips that I did rinse off and set out to dry. They rusted. Some were run without coolant on them, the others I am gonna scientifically say the heat burned it off :) (sounds good, right?)
As for the color, I wouldn't expect it to change. It would take a bit of heat for that, and they would generally turn darker blue, I would think.
I have some that came off without any bluing and am going to take the torch to them, lightly, and play with some effects. Hoping to do another this weekend.

Geoge and Ed, I do intend to move up in what I use for casting, this was just an easy way to get my feet wet. This stuff turned well. When I did this 20 years ago, What I ended up with was very brittle, probably do to my thinking of if a little hardener is good, more was better. Stayed on the lighter side with this. For just pouring into a mold and letting it sit, no vacuum or pressure, I like the result. Looking into getting ready making a chamber to do those things with in the future. Like I need more stuff in my garage!

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..........
Paul in OKC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 59

Paul, you need a bigger garage, or else a work shop in the back yard. Your garage has more stuff in it than mine does.
eharri446 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharri446 View Post
Paul, you need a bigger garage, or else a work shop in the back yard. Your garage has more stuff in it than mine does.
Going to try for the less stuff thinking. Not sure if it will work, but........

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..........
Paul in OKC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Brilliant idea, Paul! Those have tons of potential.