First cast - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Default First cast

Well, after trying this almost 20 years ago without much success, and the fact that no one else was doing it. I gave up. Several times I have bought the Castin Craft stuff, only to let it sit 'cause I never got around to it, or just too over thinking to try something new. Even have had this mold in a drawer for years. Finally said heck with it. I am a machinist by trade and always have looked at the chips, or 'swarf' as some call it with an eye of, "I really ought to be able to do something with those. So, back to Michael's with coupon and the first effort. Will turn soon! Used slim line tubes for this one. The chip was actually a long stringer with just the right ID for a tight fit on the tube. Did some small chips in the ends and in what was left in the cup. Boy, my head is spinning with ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
tubes.jpg   mold-1.jpg   mold-4.jpg   mold-3.jpg  

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..........
Paul in OKC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Swarfs away!

I never saw swarf curl like that one before. Probably because the company I worked for only had CNC milling machines or perhaps it was the metals used. Being at the inspecting end of things I wasn't watching the condition of the swarf as it came off the machine except for picking it out of the soles of my boots. Does help with traction on ice though. I see a future for swarf sellers marketing all kinds of chips and curls to blank sellers. I look forward to see where you take this.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Looking forward to result.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

These come off the lathe. Fun part is being able to semi-control the tightness of the curl and whether it is a 'stringer' as this one, or individual chips by controlling the feed rate, and somewhat the color by using coolant or not. Material is mostly pre-heat treated 4340.
Attached Thumbnails
img_8846.jpg   img_8845.jpg   img_8844.jpg  

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..........
Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Several of the parts we made were from 4340M forged steel. The chips were about 1/2" long or bigger and hot! From light brown to gunmetal blue when they cooled. The operators kept the top button on their shop coats buttoned up and sometimes taped shut to keep the swarf from going down their neck and burning themselves. Some of those forgings were 180 pounds and when finished were less than 20 pounds. Lots of chips to shovel up. Glad that wasn't part of my job. :) One of the titanium parts was 3000 pound forging when it came into the plant and was under 200 pounds when finished. All the excess weight was milled into chips.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Do post the result. I was under The impression that poly resin would likely pull away from embedded metal when turning....
Old 09-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnder View Post
Do post the result. I was under The impression that poly resin would likely pull away from embedded metal when turning....
That is a concern for me for casting anyway, but not knowing any of this for sure....... We'll find out!

Old 09-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not bad. A couple of air pockets. Chalk it up to the learning curve. Couldn't find one slim line kit in my stash, so will have to pick one up this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
img_8865.jpg   img_8869.jpg  

Old 09-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in OKC View Post
Not bad. A couple of air pockets. Chalk it up to the learning curve. Couldn't find one slim line kit in my stash, so will have to pick one up this weekend.
I like the effect of the blue metal and I'm sure there is a place for these type of blanks among the casting world.

As for the resin used, I would be more trusting of the clear Alumilite than Poly, Epoxy resin would be a great option if it was crystal clear but it is not (not the one I use)

Great work...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-15-2017, 01:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 224

Results look great Paul. Did you degrease the chips before attaching to the tubes?
Im also impressed that the colouring remained after casting.....I'm gonna use that I didn't think they would, somehow.