First blank making attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have wanted to start trying my own blanks inexpensivly, these are just poly resin with pearl ex pigments.

I need to get better and swirling as I go.

We will see how they turn next, please ignore the messy station behind the lathe

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 326
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zaqdesigns

how you made them?

Used the usual Castin Craft polyester resin mix, cut down and used 3/4 pvc pipe for my mold and regular corks for stoppers. No pressure pot, still building my setup for that. And basic Pearl Ex mica powders

Do you really have to use pressure pot? If I could do it without pressure pot, I would definitely be interested in trying make my own resin blanks.

Skie_M

Take long wires .... stainless steel coat hanger or galvanized steel or whatever will take a bend and hold it ....

Bend it to suit your needs for swirling .... pour your colors together as you've done there and then insert your swirling wire, give it a turn or two ... not too much, as you don't want the colors mixing! Remove the wire, and squeegee the excess resin off as you remove it from the mould... it can just stay on top where your waste block will be anyways, and you'll have fewer drips to clean up in the shop.

Set up some sort of fume extractor hood and leave them in there overnight, at least... :)

how you made them?

Used the usual Castin Craft polyester resin mix, cut down and used 3/4 pvc pipe for my mold and regular corks for stoppers. No pressure pot, still building my setup for that. And basic Pearl Ex mica powders

Do you really have to use pressure pot? If I could do it without pressure pot, I would definitely be interested in trying make my own resin blanks.

I didn't use a pressure pot, I keep meaning to get it setup but it never happens. I will test run these for a pen, and after watching a few videos online, as long as you don't stir vigorously and add bubbles to the mix these should be good to turn. Maybe a few pin holes to fill with CA when turning.

zaqdesigns

how you made them?

I didn't use a pressure pot, I keep meaning to get it setup but it never happens. I will test run these for a pen, and after watching a few videos online, as long as you don't stir vigorously and add bubbles to the mix these should be good to turn. Maybe a few pin holes to fill with CA when turning.
Sweet. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Skie_M

Also, if you can set a system up to vibrate them in order to help the bubbles rise out of the mix, that can help too ... :)

Top Bottom