An Experimental Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I filled a mold with brass shavings, then poured clear resin over them. I thought I'd got the seams sealed but I guess not. There was a little leak down so the top of the blank is a little lumpy but that will get turned away. I am still working on my photographic technique. The actual color is closer to the second one - it was done without the flash.

brassblank1%2520.JPG

brassblank2.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

Hmmmm....for some reason I'm thinking a pen made with your shavings cast in opaque black acrylic would look fantastic.

Yeah the black is on order and I was already thinking about another one with the black pigment. I also thought I would try some coal dust and the shavings.

KenV

It will be a challenge to drill and turn, but has huge potential. Looking forward th hearing and seeing more as you progress.

reiddog1

For the love of God, please wear a faceshield when you turn this. Looks great though. Interested to see it with a little color in the resin.

Dave

crokett

Well I drilled the blank tonight but ran into an issue. When it is drilled or cut the blank goes from clear to white, so now you see white inside the blank where it is drilled out. I am not sure what a tube will look like inserted, but it doesn't look the way I want. I am going to pour another that is colored and chalk this one up to a learning experience, unless there is a way to polish the bore holes.

Top Bottom