Dragon Pen Blank I'm working on. WIP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ted Sachs

I've been toying with finding a way to make a good Dragon pen blank and so far this is about the best on yet, but I have an idea that I'm going to try on the next one that may make it look even better. Here's what I have waiting to be cast. I'm trying to get a scales look to the wrap. I think I need to extend the yellow and light green portion some at the top of each of the scales to get a more gradient look to the scale. Also, I may wrap it where you see the black outline for the shadow of the scale above it a lot more pronounced than it came out in this one.

Ideas and critique are always welcomed.

Attachments

• 20151021_165731.jpg
    20151021_165731.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 983

Ted Sachs

While figuring out a different pattern, I had a revelation on this pattern that will make this one posted look like child's play. I now know exactly how to get the transition I was looking for. I have some long lengths of tubing coming in that I want to wrap on since the Dragon pen is a two tube pen. This way I can wrap one long length and cut the two pieces from that and have a perfect match. Yea, that's the ticket.

Skie_M

While you're at it, more colors in the mix to make it a gradual deepening of the shade? :)

A lot of blanks are made exactly to size because of issues that people have run into trying to cut through a design on the tube ...

It may be easier to wrap your long blank, then give it a few coats of clear protection, and cut the tube prior to casting, rather than casting it first and then trying to cut through the tube.

I wish you luck, whichever road you take!

Ted Sachs

I did a practice run on cutting a long cast blank and didn't have a problem with it and things turned out much cleaner overall. I'm very picky about my end result and this seems to get me where it needs to be to make me happy. I appreciate the idea though. I listen to all ideas and usually try them all to find what works best.

TurtleTom

I think the black string may be overwhelming the design. Is there any way to put a thinner thread up? Then the black to the bottom would be shadow and more convincing.
I absolutely love what you've done so far. I'm an old knot tyer, among others here, from way back but I've never tried the decorative fly rod work you do.

Ted Sachs

Tom, you are right about the black and I plan on doing the next one tonight using "A" weight thread instead of"D" weight that I used on this one. This one took about 8 hours to wrap but the next one well take half again as long with the much thinner thread.

Skie, you hit on exactly what I'm planning to do on this next version. By going to the thinner thread I can put more resolution in the scales which means I can get a better gradient change in the colours. I can go from the yellow to dark green more gradually and get a much better look. Now off my Dragon kits come in today I'll be set.

Curly

While figuring out a different pattern, I had a revelation on this pattern that will make this one posted look like child's play. I now know exactly how to get the transition I was looking for. I have some long lengths of tubing coming in that I want to wrap on since the Dragon pen is a two tube pen. This way I can wrap one long length and cut the two pieces from that and have a perfect match. Yea, that's the ticket.

Your thread wrapping to make blanks is amazing.

Two things you need to consider.

1) Most kits have 2 diameter sizes of tubes so you need to check to see if the one you are making is the same for both. I don't know if this is the case with the Dragon.

2) Tubes diameters from one seller to another may not have the same wall thickness and that includes the K&S tubes from the hobby store. This may cause assembly problems in that kit parts may not fit into the tubes or be too loose.

Skie_M

Dragon Twist Pen Kit - PSI

Front - 3/8ths dia, 1.45 inches long

Back - 3/8ths dia, 1.6 inches long

A single long tube cut to lengths would work fine.

Pete's caution is still valid, however ... if you plan to do some styles of pen, you have to watch this feature.

For example, PSI's Breast Cancer Awareness Twist Pen Kit ...

8mm lower (front)
3/8ths upper (back)

And any of the high end kits that use a cap that posts ... one tube will fit inside the other so that the cap actually functions.

That's pretty much every single Jr and full size fountain pen on the market.

Ted Sachs

There aren't a lot of choices yet for ten inch lengths, but from the choices I do have, if by chance a pen has two different size tube diameters then I will get ten inch lengths of both sizes and do it up like that. That way I'll be making even more than three pens every time I wrap for one pen. I've already checked wall thicknesses on the brass from K&S and their's is quite a bit thicker. I'm checking on sources for the pen tubes though. I've already made a list of the main pens I planned on doing and their tube sizes and wall thicknesses so I won't make that mistake. I've even started getting bushing sizes so I'll know how thick I can go with the thread on each pen.

jttheclockman

Ted I do not believe you will have much luck finding 10" tubes other than the 10mm.
Yes I forgot about the slimline tubes 7 and 8mm. I do not make those so that slipped my mine.
If they are out there I am sure others would love to hear about them too including me. So what does everyone say???

Last edited:

Ted Sachs

I got some ten inch tubes in 3/8 diameter from PSI today. I know they have 7, 8, and 10mms tubes as well. I'm finding that my idea of using A weight line want the best idea I've come up with. I'm using C weight regular this time around and we'll try the A weight metallic again later.

Ted Sachs

After almost sixteen hours of wrapping on a ten inch pen tube here is where I am. I started out with the thinnest size thread but had to many problems with it breaking off. I switched to a heavier thread and non metallic just to see what would come out. It looks good but not what I'm trying for. I'll have to go back tho the thin thread and be Extra Careful. It will also mean that this one at sixteen hours will become around thirty hours with thread half as thick.

At this point on this wrap I still have a few more wraps to make them pack all PhD the thread in tight and then I can prep for casting.

Attachments

• 20151025_161003.jpg
    20151025_161003.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 20151025_160957.jpg
    20151025_160957.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 195

Ted Sachs

My father used to fly fish with a Tom many years ago and when I first saw your avatar I had to take a double take. You favor him a lot but I imagine he's a lot older than my memories of him. He and my dad used to see who could come up with a better fly every time they tied some. I learned from my dad when I was about eight how to tie flies. Anyway, Mr Tom wrote a book on tying flies and I was given the original manuscript for it. His name is Tom Nixon and used to work with my dad many years ago at PPG in Lake Charles, La.

Thank you sir for the compliment on the work.

Charlie_W

Beautiful work for sure! Definitely a talent there!

You might want to look at the Zen pen from Craft Supplies. One long tube with plenty of thickness for on tube casting.

magpens

Extremely beautiful !!! . I agree with Charlie ... would like to see that on a Zen.

Skie_M

Check out the vendors section here at the IAP's Marketplace. I know Exotic Blanks carries the Zen/Zap pens, but I'm sure other vendors do as well.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Thanks y'all. I'll see about ordering a couple of them. Who sells the Zens?

I agree with this and think the Zens would be a perfect kit for this type of thing. The single longer tube would be fabulous and the relatively "plain" hardware wouldn't draw attention away from the work you're doing.

I'm not sure if you could do it on a slimmer tube or not, but other product that would be interesting (due to a longer tube) is this:
Exotic Blanks :: Other Projects - Kits & Larger Blanks :: Desk Accessories :: Magnifying Glass - European Style - Choose Plating

As a matter of fact, I have 2 of those kits from exotics that I didn't use and don't have any plans for anytime soon. If you think you can wrap a slim tube - PM me your mailing address and I'll mail them to you - think of them as a new member gift. :biggrin: Unfortunately I have used all my zens, or I'd offer you a couple of those too.

Ted Sachs

That would be awesome. I know of a couple of patterns that would work on small diameters, at least I think they will. Since you are willing to do this, and since you are from my dad's home state, I'll do you one better. Send them down here and I'll send one back to you wrapped and cast and built as a thank you gift.

alphageek

Former Moderator
That would be awesome. I know of a couple of patterns that would work on small diameters, at least I think they will. Since you are willing to do this, and since you are from my dad's home state, I'll do you one better. Send them down here and I'll send one back to you wrapped and cast and built as a thank you gift.

That would be VERY cool.. But one of your wrapped blanks is worth way more than these couple of kits. I have some others that you might like too... Will contact you via PM. :)

Ted Sachs

Ted Sachs;18064gift43 said:

That would be VERY cool.. But one of your wrapped blanks is worth way more than these couple of kits. I have some others that you might like too... Will contact you via PM. :)

Someone one told me that it wasn't how much the gift cost that counts, but rather the thought that did. The thought of offering is what meant more to me than the price you paid for the kits. If you want to go by what it actually took money wise, you spent way more money than I will be. Thread really isn't that expensive yet.

Skie_M

Don't forget the time you're putting in to each of these .... assuming a master craftsman would expect at least 20 dollars an hour and an apprentice gets at least 10 dollars an hour, (making up numbers, here), you should expect to command a pretty high price for the time you put in to making each blank, shouldn't you?

Ted Sachs

I understand what you are saying, and for the most part agree. In this case, though, I'm referring to what out actually cost me out of my pocket. Another way of looking at it is the advertising aspect. What better advertising could I get than from about pen Turner? I also take in to account that he offered to send them at no cost at all in the first place and didn't expect anything in return. There is a lot to be said for that.

Don'tvery basic pattern get me wrong here. I'm not in this strictly for the money. Friends are more valuable to me than money ever could be. The patterns I have in mind are not complex, but rather simple. I'm thinking that this simple pattern on a long thin tube might look rather elegant instead of on your face, jaw dropping fantastic like I'm trying to get to on some of these other patterns. Believe it or not, the pattern for the Dragon Skin blank is a beer basic pattern. What makes it work is the color changes in it and the size I'm doing it at.

Ted Sachs

Power is back and I've finished the wrapping on the Dragon Skin. I'm ready now to put color preserver and then the epoxy. Here's what it looks like do far.

Attachments

• 20151026_113231.jpg
    20151026_113231.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 20151026_113245.jpg
    20151026_113245.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 142

jttheclockman

Fantastic. I think we all are going to run out of words to describe your work. Another winner. for sure. :good::good::good:

Ted Sachs

After almost thirty hours of wrapping time I'm almost through with the red dragon skin. My Simlar should be here Friday and I will have a lot of stuff to cast this weekend. I can't wait to see this stuff cast and turned. Here's the red one with just a few wraps left to close it up and then to pack it and burnish it. I hope to put the first coat of epoxy on it tonight.

For some reason the camera couldn't get a decent picture. I guess it's all of the shiny stuff throwing it off.

Attachments

• close_up_red_dragon_skin[1].jpg
    close_up_red_dragon_skin[1].jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 157

Ted Sachs

After epoxy it really popped out nicely. That red is killer. This weekend I'll get all of my stuff cast and then it will be time to start massaging the Dragon pen kit. I've got a lot of work planned for it to make it pop out as well.

Attachments

• 20151028_234933.jpg
    20151028_234933.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 135
  • 20151028_234910.jpg
    20151028_234910.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 158

Skie_M

Absolutely unmitigated ecstasy... that's what I'ld feel if I had a blank like that at my disposal every time I opened my case.

junosdad

'nother option

Try a Google search for

'dragon scale rod wrap'

Several places have instructions; this search should reveal them.

I'll apologize now :)

~Sam

Ted Sachs

Try a Google search for

'dragon scale rod wrap'

Several places have instructions; this search should reveal them.

I'll apologize now :)

~Sam
No need for apologizing for anything here. Those are pretty interesting, and most of them are like mine in that they all use the chevron pattern as the basis for the theme. There were a couple that were way out there that were really nice, but not the type of wrapping I do. I'm trying to recreate something that is on the pen already to some degree and using the colors that I'll be using on the pen kit when I "massage" it.

I'm trying to figure out what you were apologizing for.

Edit: Was it that you were revealing plans on how to do this wrap? There's no need for that, I'll explain thread by thread on any pattern I do to anyone wanting to learn to do this. If you are in the Houston area I'll invite you over and teach you first hand on wrapping and I'll even make a copy of my pattern book I've been making. Shoot, I WANT people to learn this art. I might have ten or so years left wrapping and then if no one picks this up it dies until the next idiot,,, uh person tries to mesh the two skills. I love what I do and I love teaching what I do. There is no problem with others learning what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom