Cutting pine cones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dusty Grandpa

I have some pine cones that I would like to cast in pen blanks. Some are too large to fit in the mold. I was wondering about how you cut these from top to bottom, cutting them down the middle. I have a table saw and a bandsaw, so any help with the saw blade used (i.e. teeth per inch) would be an enormous help .

If there is anything written, or any videos someone can direst me to, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, for any help you can give me

Buckeyepen

I just use my band saw. I have a 1/2" 3tpi blade on now to cut alumilite. I originally had a 1/4 6tpi when I first starting casting. I see no difference as I use a Timberwolf thin kerf blade. I personally would not want to use a table saw. I feel the bandsaw is safer. I put the pine cone in a wood clamp with minimal amount of pressure to keep it from moving, then run through bandsaw until I cut pine cone then reverse out after turning off saw. Table saw I feel would be to aggressive and catchy tearing up cone. I also never want to be that close to a blade and you would need a sled of some type. Either way just be safe and watch your fingers

Top Bottom