Correct paint with acrylic?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I am looking at painting pictures on tubes and casting them making tube in blanks. Before I waste a lot of time and supplies is there a paint that works best or won't work at all for this? I have cast with alumilite but not any of the other resins but no objection to branching out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I would first do some tests, but I think something like Testors model paint would work. Maybe oils. No water based acrylics.

bmachin

Cliff,

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that water in acrylic paint is just a vehicle. Once the paint is completely dry there's not going to be a problem. Waterborne is probably a more accurate term than water based, since the water takes no part in forming the paint film. Sort of like mineral spirits or lacquer thinner.

It would certainly be worth running a test though.

FWIW,

Bill

bmachin

Keith,

Alumilite does not get all that hot in reasonable quantities; i.e. pen blank sizes.

I don't think you can go wrong with either oils or acrylics, but some quick and dirty experiments with whatever you have on hand would be cheap enough. Just put some paint swatches of different types on some sort of substrate, let it dry, build a dam around them, cover with alumilite and see what happens. Use whatever you have on hand and you aren't out anything.

Bill

keithbyrd

Keith,

Alumilite does not get all that hot in reasonable quantities; i.e. pen blank sizes.

I don't think you can go wrong with either oils or acrylics, but some quick and dirty experiments with whatever you have on hand would be cheap enough. Just put some paint swatches of different types on some sort of substrate, let it dry, build a dam around them, cover with alumilite and see what happens. Use whatever you have on hand and you aren't out anything.

Bill

Thanks Bill - I will set. u some tests and post back what works!!

chartle

yes - I have but will go back through it! Good suggestion!
Thanks!

I think for this application I think cleaning the tube is probably more important than just for gluing. I would put the tube on the lathe and maybe get some 500 grit paper on it to clean it and scratch it up a bit.

I've done this when I wanted the brass to show.

Top Bottom