Colored pencil blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eppen

Hi all

Does anybody have tips and guidance on creating and turning a colored pencil blank
I have made up blanks with CA and epoxy.
I try take light cuts with a sharp tool and occasionally saturate the blank with thin CA
Unfortunately after trying this 5 or 6 times I am not successful.

I am sure someone has figured it out.

Best

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

They are temperamental no matter how you glue them but I have made several by casting in alumilite and occasionally hitting them with thin CA to help keep the lead in. I put mine in the mold from corner to opposite corner / at an angle. I use epoxy to put the tubes in and turn with the lathe as fast as it goes with a very sharp skew and light touches. After they get close, I sand them do the finished size. Just be sure to clean them real good with denatured alcohol before the final CA finish or you will have lead pieces and colors where you don't want them. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpg
    IMG_5087.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 216

its_virgil

BeeAMaker

Wood it help to stabilize the would pencils? wait - I have that backwoods.

Anyways, after gluing them up would stabilizing them help hold them together? I imagine the quality of pencil might have something to do with it also.

Fireengines

All I did was to cut some sharped color pencils, tossed them in the the in mold in not particular order, and poured the resin. Once complete, I pained the tube and the inside of the blank.

Attachments

• blue colored pencil pen.jpg
    blue colored pencil pen.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 316
  • colored pencil pen.jpg
    colored pencil pen.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

stuckinohio

Don, Great article. Thank you.

I have done some successful colored pencil pens with CA and never want to do another, so I will try this!

Crayman

One thing I find is after i drill the hole I pour some thin CA glue in and let it harden, then re drill. I find this has reduced my losses while turning, it gives a better bond between pencils and tubes. I also keep some extra leads around if one comes off, I glue the appropriate color on and continue turning.

Top Bottom