Casting with a pressure pot..... - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 44

Here is my pressure pot, I stripped all the cheap fittings and installed new ones. I spent less the 20$ in fitting. After my 1st test, I had a pressure leak from the security valve, so I went back to stote and get a new one. Second test at 50psi and no leak after 12 hours.
Now I need to add a riser to the regulator kit.

Jean-Pierre

Last edited by le_skieur; 05-15-2015 at 09:11 AM.
le_skieur is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Very nice pressure pot set up. I do have a question,, when you put the air in it, do you leave the air compressor on during the time the blank is inside the pot or do you remove the hose from the pot just after you put in the air? It's yet a little confusing. When I get mine set up I think I will get the good stuff to set it up with. I have been looking around. I just don't want to keep running to the hardware store if one little part doesn't work out. Thank you.. Fay
Fay Prozora is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 44

Thanks Fay for your good comment!

As I said, at my 1st test I had a leak at the safety valve that came with the pot. I have changed it and did a second test, I did not loose any pressure at 50 psi without the compressor running. I unconnected it from the pot.
Make sure you are using good Teflon tape, mine was the pink one, the one for high pressure and gas.

Last edited by le_skieur; 05-15-2015 at 11:02 AM.
le_skieur is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Another question,,, On the air compressor. Do you need to refill it with air if it runs out and if so how do you do it? I'm just learning all this before getting any thing set up. Sorry for all the questions. I know it might seem like dumb questions but well you know how that goes. Old bags like me just don't know the answers..... Thanks again Fay
Old 05-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Hi Fay, If I'm reading your question correctly, most all air compressors will kick on when the pressure in the storage tank gets below a certain point, and will run until the pressure in the storage tank reaches a certain point. I have a very noisy little air compressor that will kick on most every time I'm putting pressure into my pressure pot.

I do not leave my pressure pot connected to the air hose. I put about 40 pounds in my pressure pot, then unhook the air and let things be for however long it needs to for what I'm casting. In the limited space I have, I'll usually relocate the pot to somewhere it's less likely to get knocked over.

FWIW, my pressure pot is the Harbor Freight one, and is very similar to the one that Jean-Pierre posted a picture of.

Hope this is a help to you.
jsolie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 14

I am just thankful that the ideas suggested here are to PROTECT others. I thought of using a pressure cooker at one time, it seemed logical, but then I read comments here and in the library and looked at some pictures and IMMEDIATELY threw out that idea. This group is so helpful and also very caring about protecting others from known issues. I am proud to be a member of this group

Thanks!

Mitch
wyone is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thank you it did help. I want to learn all I can on this so when I get ready to do this, I will have the information. I appreciate all the help I can get and I too love this forums and the members on it. Very helpful indeed. Fay
Old 05-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

I tossed the pressure cooker as soon as I found out that they are rated at a max of 10 psi, and some older ones were known to blow at less than that! (I saved the bottom and use it to hold parts for sorting...) I use the HF pot, and mine is a bugger to get a perfect seal on, so I leave the compressor connected with a pressure regulator set to 50psi, and it seems to work great.
79spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 74

I have 3 HF pots and each of them will hold 60 psi and not leak. I've left them for days with no leakage. You should find why yours leaks and fix the problem. If a large leak were to develop your compressor will run continously. And yes, this has happened.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
www.RedRiverPens.com/articles (pen stuff I've written)
its_virgil is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Well, is not difficult to understand why, new members or someone trying to do certain things for the first time that for most of us, have no mystery or difficulty on, be so confused about what they read and interpret, I keep reminding folks of the times when we were exactly in the same situation...!

The Library does have absolutely amazing info about all aspects of pen turning, pen making, etc. however, when we join to a new group, we all felt a little lost until we started to feel our way around things then, things got a lot easier and, we all needed to have that direct contact with the room/forum members and have actually someone, talking/answering to him/her, huh..???

The issue the OP is requesting info on, is normal and of all the different ways I say the issue explained, I haven't found yet, a better one that the original PDF file that Curtis here on IAP, make many years ago, and the very one I used in my casting beginnings.

I have the printed copy and I don't know where the original file that someone sent to me is, I believe Curtis have already put it on our library so, someone may know where it is or Curtis, will be generous guy he is and provide that file directly to the thread...!

I have no doubt, you will be assisted with any help you may need, that is the nature of this group of people, always willing to help...!

Best of luck...!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/

Last edited by robutacion; 05-27-2015 at 11:29 PM.
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads