Casting with a pressure pot..... - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Casting with a pressure pot.....

I'm thinking about getting into casting molds using a pressure pot but I'm not sure what all is involved. I already have an old pressure cooker that can be modified for a compressor valve and a pressure gauge so I think I'm set there but not quite sure.

Other than this (correct me if I'm wrong) I should have to get molds, resin, and dyes to start making.

Any helpful tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.
Jbalderson is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Look in the Library under "casting". A pressure COOKER just won't work. you need to look for a Pressure Paint Pot.
PSNCO is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbalderson View Post
I'm thinking about getting into casting molds using a pressure pot but I'm not sure what all is involved. I already have an old pressure cooker that can be modified for a compressor valve and a pressure gauge so I think I'm set there but not quite sure.

Other than this (correct me if I'm wrong) I should have to get molds, resin, and dyes to start making.

Any helpful tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.
Hello Jeremy

First let me welcome you to the site. Not sure if you introduced yourself in the forum or not but that would help.

We do not know you. We do not know what kind of pen turner you are. We do not have a feel for what kind of tools person you are. We do not know what you know about casting if anything.

With that all said, I will get hate mail for this but I wish you would take some time and do some reading here. Look in the library here. Use the search feature and put in words such as casting using a pressure pot and you will get a ton of hits. I know it is not the sexy, quick answer you are looking for but it is the safest one I can give you.

You mention using a pressure cooker for a pot, please do not do this. Again I will say PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!! You are the second person in about a week that has mentioned this and it needs to get around that is not the tool to use. I will also say that depending on what type casting you want to do and the type resin you want to use, you do not need to use pressure. You can cast very easily without it.

Again if you take some time and do a little reading you then can come back here with some specific questions. We are here to help. But help us help you.

Last edited by jttheclockman; 05-14-2015 at 01:14 PM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Not only will a pressure cooker not work, a pressure cooker modified for casting can/will rupture/explode, causing injury of worse.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Untitled Document
PSNCO is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am currently going through old posts looking at other people's input on the subject and since typing this I have noticed a pressure cooker is not the answer (I guess I should read first before posting lol).

I've been looking at Alumilite and see it's best result is with casting. Id' like to do solid resin blanks as well as what I'd call mixed media (wood and resin etc.)
Old 05-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSNCO View Post
thanks the pressure cooker is going in the trash
Old 05-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 73

Quote:
I am currently going through old posts looking at other people's input on the subject and since typing this I have noticed a pressure cooker is not the answer (I guess I should read first before posting lol).

I've been looking at Alumilite and see it's best result is with casting. Id' like to do solid resin blanks as well as what I'd call mixed media (wood and resin etc.)

Good to hear you are taking some time to do a little reading. You will also notice you have your Poly resin fans and your Alumilite fans. I am of the PR fan group. I use Silmar 41 resin. With each resin comes its do's and don'ts and its pros and cons so these will be factors to look at. You may want to try both. Yes leave the pressure cookers for cooking food.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:

Good to hear you are taking some time to do a little reading. You will also notice you have your Poly resin fans and your Alumilite fans. I am of the PR fan group. I use Silmar 41 resin. With each resin comes its do's and don'ts and its pros and cons so these will be factors to look at. You may want to try both. Yes leave the pressure cookers for cooking food.
I'll say it here since she won't read it but I guess my wife was right when she said just throw the damn thing out. She upgraded her canning pressure cooker and that's where I got the old one from
Old 05-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

I too have been going through a lot of reading and studying the process of setting up the pressure pot for casting. There are some you tube videos on how to set it up and an air compressor. It is going to be interesting to set one up and try casting the stuff with out so many bubble or maybe no bubbles. Good luck on your progress. It will be a couple months before I get one set up.. Fay
Fay Prozora is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads