Casting casting molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

Question.

If I am making casting molds, what are the inner dimensions that would be most usable? I see that ptown makes theirs 5 1/4 squared by 7/8? Not sure on the thickness. I have some material that I am making them and then will offer to people here.

Thanks,

Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

Most pen blanks are 3/4 inch square by 5 inch long. You can make a single mold or you can make a block and cut into blanks. Some use pvc pipe or other tubes to make round blanks. Did that answer you question ?

Dave

MRDucks2

Hey, Jason. I asked about this and did some research on basic blank sizes, cast or not. With a lot of input and some experimenting, I have determined 5 1/4 square by 3/4 or more is the best size.

At 5" there are a lot of kits that leave you with a short leftover piece that isn't usable for much. At 5 1/4 there are still a lot of kits that you can get two blanks out of. Just my perception at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Brian G

The type of resin that will be cast matters. PR shrinks, so the mold cavity needs to be larger than 3/4. If I make a mold for myself, I want at least enough size so I can trim them square and have a better idea how the blank looks inside.

Aces-High

The type of resin that will be cast matters. PR shrinks, so the mold cavity needs to be larger than 3/4. If I make a mold for myself, I want at least enough size so I can trim them square and have a better idea how the blank looks inside.

I am leaning toward 5 1/2 square with enough depth for 7/8".

Brian G

w =(b*n) + (k*(n-1)) + 2k

where:

w = width of block mold cavity
b = final blank width
n = number of blanks in the block
k = kerf width of blade used to cut blanks

Plug and chug to see what width might minimize the waste.

I use a 1/16" kerf circular saw blade in the table saw to cut blanks. I like that better than a thinner bandsaw blade, because it leaves a cleaner cut.

The "2k" is for cleaning the edges of the two outsides of the block. You could figure 1/16" for each outside edge regardless of the kerf for cutting the blanks.

My math says that, for 3/4" square blanks, a 5" internal cavity would yield 6 blanks. For 13/16" blanks, a 5-5/16" internal cavity would yield 6 blanks. For 7/8" blanks, a 4-7/8" internal cavity would yield 5, 7/8" blanks and 1, 5/8" blank.

As I mentioned, PR "shrinks" as it cures. Also consider that a slight meniscus forms when the casting is under pressure. I would make the depth 1" and not 7/8" because then the pour isn't right to the brim and the risk of spillage declines.

I think most people can "eyeball" a 1/8" margin at the top. After a few tries, filling the block mold to the right depth is a matter of correct measuring.

I'd suggest considering, if you have the tooling to do it, routing a finger groove in the ends of the block mold to make picking it up and moving it easier. That's what I'll do in the next set of block molds I make.

Length. . . I think 5-1/4" is long enough, and I'd discourage 5-1/2" unless the plan is to square them after demolding. Blanks of 5-1/4" fit nicely in a SFRB for shipping.

All intended to be helpful. Good luck.

Last edited:

Brian G

Math error. You'd need an internal dimension of 5-11/16" for 6, 7/8" blanks. You'd need 5-7/16" to get the 5, 7/8" and one 5/8" blank.

Top Bottom