casting carbon fiber - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default casting carbon fiber

I am tryng to cast some carbon fiber blanks for the virage kit. Using 0.5 inch carbon/fiberglass biaxial sleeves from Soller Composites. My problem is getting the carbon fiber tight enough at the ends so it doesn't come through when I turn down to the bushings. Any suggestions?
Pam59 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam59 View Post
I am tryng to cast some carbon fiber blanks for the virage kit. Using 0.5 inch carbon/fiberglass biaxial sleeves from Soller Composites. My problem is getting the carbon fiber tight enough at the ends so it doesn't come through when I turn down to the bushings. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the site Pam. Glad you found us and hope you stick around and join in.

I will show you what I use to do my casting of various blanks and I also do carbon fiber this way. I made a little stand so that I can prep multiple blanks for casting. I use Silmar41 as my casting resin and have had great success with it. I use this same resin to adhere the material to the tubes. Then I use the small tie-wraps or zip ties to secure to some rods I cut. I got the rod from Home Depot. All this is is a length of that fiberglass lanscaping markers. Some times they come with reflectors on them but you can also buy them without. I cut them up into the lengths I need to fit on my rack. I use some car wax to wax them so that the resin does not stick too well. Usually a slight twist and they snap right off when I get to trim them.

The zip ties also came from Home Depot in the electric department. I then put these on the rack as you see them and then add a few coats of resin just to avoid any bubbles latter on when I cast them. I keep rotating them for a few minutes so as to avoid any drips forming.

The next day I cut the tie wraps and take the blank off the rods. Now I use a sharp pair of tin snips and cut fairly close to the tube ends. You can see a tub resting on top of the rack that is ready for casting, all trimmed back.

I then set up my casting area and cast a whole bunch at one time.

Here is a couple copper braiding blanks cast and trimmed. Also here is a photo of the rack I made and use. Hope something in here helps and if not others will be along and jump in too. Good luck. Casting is fun.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 89

John when you do the resin do you catalyze it and paint it on?? Or just drip it on and keep turning?? The Rack is awesome.
Edward Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

John, thank you for explaining the process of casting these blanks. I was curious as to how you kept the ends so tight. It was like a "duh" moment. Very simple but all those trees got in the way.

Your blanks are beautiful.
Imaginethat is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 148

Wow that is a great Idea. An approach I have not though of before.

Thanks for sharing.
brownsfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Cypher View Post
John when you do the resin do you catalyze it and paint it on?? Or just drip it on and keep turning?? The Rack is awesome.

Hello Edward

I just paint it on. I use those throw away acid brushes that you can buy by the 100's All I am looking to do is get a coat or two on so that all those little crevices are filled so that when I cast I do not get air bubbles in there. Ruins the blanks quickly You have to turn them or else the resin will pool on the bottom. Depending how much catalyst you add determines how fast it sets up. Usually 10 or so minutes and it is done dripping. It is self leveling so no worries there. I usually pick the brushes up at the winter woodworking show but HF has them as well as a big bag of the tie wraps. I only try to keep the resin on the tube. No need spreading it all the way down the excess braiding.

I must note that after 2 or 3 uses of the rods they need to be cleaned off and rewaxed. Very simple process. I thought i had shown this stuff before but if not any questions ask away. How I cast my blanks is no secret any more. Many people do the same things.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 2

A much easier solution is this. Suspend a stick over a trashcan or something to catch the CA that drops down. Bend some coat hanger wire in an "S" shape so it will hang on the stick. Thread you painted tubes into the carbon fiber, with the top of the tube being closed, I use wax. I do 3-4 tubes at a time, try and keep the tubes the same size, if doing Jr's do the top tubes in one and the bottom in the other. Leave about an inch between the tubes and 2-3 inches on each end. Get some of the medium sized binder clips that are used to hold papers together and put one on each end. Then squeeze one of the "arms" on the bottom binder clip together to remove it. Thread it through the pop top on a soda (or beer) can that is filled with water. Squeeze the "arm" back together and replace it in the binder clip. Then just hang the whole thing on the stick and starting at the top let thin CA run down to the bottom, the can will catch most of the run off. Make sure to work your way around. Let it dry for a day and trim them apart. I use RC modeler scissors to do this they are shape and cheap.

Use a punch to push out the wax and you are ready to cast.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
Jimmy Buffett from the song by the same name.
Indiana_Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hello Mike

Not sure yours is an easier way just another way of doing the same thing. Some people use CA to adhere the braiding to the tube but i find using the exact same resin does a few things. It binds the braiding to the tube and when I coat them it locks to that same resin and again I am trying to eliminate those nasty bubbles that can emerge from all those crevices.

But it is always good to have more than one option and there are always more than one way to do what we do.

Just a note for those working with carbon fiber braiding. Be aware of the health risks with the fibers and take precautions. Work safe.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks John. Looks like the perfect solution. Will let you know how it works out.
Pam59 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
KCW

Photos: 13

John, do you feel like using the PR to adhere the carbon fiber reduces the separation of the carbon fiber to PR after casting? I have done a few and used thin CA, but after casting I get the dreaded separation, which looks like air bubbles on the surface of the carbon.
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads