Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

denny

Good morning. Does anyone know of a place to buy real camo(hunters) pics
that can be small enough to wrap tubes with. I have customers that really like that look instead of the usual ones. Maybe it can't be done, but got to ask.
Thanks. and have a good day!! Denny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

that can be small enough to wrap tubes with. I have customers that really like that look instead of the usual ones. Maybe it can't be done, but got to ask.

Check out Robert Kulp here on IAP. RobertKulpCreations.com

Last edited:

SSobel

View in Gallery

Here's a thought. I have wrapped tubes with actual material. These pens are from Navy Uniforms. I'm sure you could get a "Real Tree" t-shirt and wrap the tube with that. I hade to make these on the fat side because of the anchors underneath, but if you're just wrapping with material, it might look pretty cool!

robertkulp

Most of the Realtree Camo cloth has the pattern printed too large to look good on a pen blank. It can be done, but it just doesn't look quite right.

Kenny Durrant

You could copy a picture and shrink it to fit the tube. Don't cut the seam on a straight line and use a pencil to color the white ede of the paper. It should look good but not the same as cloth.

Catski1

I'd second the use of cloth glued to the tubes. I haven't made any Camo ones but I have done a few with Washi/Chiyogami origami papers which had patterns I really loved. I know it might be a challenge but keep a lookout for shirts or uniforms that have the pattern you like. And as Kenny mentioned printing out a pic you've sized correctly would work too. Maybe even try with old school film and photo paper where you could choose both matte and glossy paper to achieve the exact look you desire. Good luck. Cheers.

jleiwig

I was recommended long ago to use Arrow shafts. They can be found in different diameters close to 7mm or 10mm, and already have the printing on them. Cast them in clear resin and your done.

JohnU

I've used fabric and actual pictures of camo clothing I cut out of catalogs. The only problem with the pictures was they weren't big enough for anything over 8mm tubes. I've also used cupcake papers. I found them at hobby lobby. They make regular and small sizes. I turned them upside down, misted them with water and ironed them flat to glue to tube. I didn't cast over them but instead built a CA finish over them. Casting would prob work as long as you sealed them or CA them first so they don't fall apart in the resin. Here's the bolt action I did with a cupcake wrapper. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_6069.jpg
    IMG_6069.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Flush1974

robertkulp

I would think that the water film is really for objects larger than pen tubes. Plus, thats a whole lot of work for one tube, let alone, dozens or hundreds. It's really a whole lot easier just to print the labels and cast them.

Pappi

Customizing Decals

I have printed many pics off the internet for my pen decals. I am using inkjet water slide and sometimes they some of the details in the pics come out blurry. I see some of the pics are coming looking good so I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I changed how the decal is printed and it does help sometimes but I think the pics have to much detail to them and this is what is causing this blurry issue on them. Does anyone have an idea on what I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Army Bolt action.jpg
    Army Bolt action.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Dillian Deer Pen.jpg
    Dillian Deer Pen.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 225

Flush1974

I have printed many pics off the internet for my pen decals. I am using inkjet water slide and sometimes they some of the details in the pics come out blurry. I see some of the pics are coming looking good so I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I changed how the decal is printed and it does help sometimes but I think the pics have to much detail to them and this is what is causing this blurry issue on them. Does anyone have an idea on what I doing wrong?

Pappi,

I do a lot of model aircraft decals from scratch. I've found the laser printer does a phenomenal job of printing decals. I do find issues when printing on white decal paper if you are trying to put a decal on something else. There are some ways around it. As for the question "what if I don't have a laser printer?" Kinkos or Office Depot will hook you up for a nominal fee, just bring your decal paper with you and ensure you buy the laser printer paper.

x31korps

View in Gallery

Here's a thought. I have wrapped tubes with actual material. These pens are from Navy Uniforms. I'm sure you could get a "Real Tree" t-shirt and wrap the tube with that. I hade to make these on the fat side because of the anchors underneath, but if you're just wrapping with material, it might look pretty cool!

As a retired Marine I love this. However, I was thinking patches would be slimmer. I have people asking me to make rank/chevron pens from all the services. Been trying to think of how to get it done.

robertkulp

As a retired Marine I love this. However, I was thinking patches would be slimmer. I have people asking me to make rank/chevron pens from all the services. Been trying to think of how to get it done.

For rank and service medal pens, just do a label cast. They're very popular and great sellers.

MRDucks2

Couldn't you scan a piece of the camo as large as possible them resize the image as needed thereby maintaining the pattern and print ratio on the smaller image and print onto weather proof label paper.

magpens

You might find pen blanks related to the armed services at WoodnWhimsies.com

BTW ... Welcome to IAP !!!

View in gallery

Top Bottom