Burl cutting question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Airbear77

Is this worth cutting and drying? Can anyone that has experience with this let me know. I think it is a wild cherry. I don't want to go through the trouble of getting it if it may be no good. It is a mile or so in the woods. Thanks for any info. Aaron

Attachments

• image-3304708930.jpg
    image-3304708930.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
JMHO Aaron, but the only way to tell, usually, it to cut into the monster and see what you see. I want to take one to work and MRI the rascal!

plantman

I agree with Jim 100%. It's like a kid coming down at Christmas time and seeing all the presents under the tree. You don't know what your going to get inside the wrapping, but your usualy are never dissapointed. From the photo I would say you have two choises. Either cut the right limb off or cut the entire tree down. You will need a chain saw with a new chain, and a bandsaw also with a new blade. From the few cherry burls I have cut on my property, I have found them to be very tight grained and hard to cut, but well worth the effort. Jim S

Airbear77

Thank you for the responses. I guess I will get it. When I get it, I will post photos. Not sure when I can get it, but I will.

juteck

Absolutely worth it. Be sure to buy something to seal the cut edges to minimize checking. I use Klingspors sealtite. Don't limit yourself to pen blanks though. There are good boxes, bottle stoppers, bowls, hollow forms, Christmas ornaments, etc. in that!!

Top Bottom