Blanks from MDF?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I picked up a piece of countertop material with laminate. Has anyone tried to cut blanks and make pens from the engineered wood material from a countertop?
If so, how did you turn it and finish it? Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

MDF is sawdust mixed with glue and cured under extremely high pressure. I have cut and routed it for wood working projects and it generates a huge amount of sawdust as a result. There is no reason that you could not turn it one the lathe, however for best results you would need to use carbide tools.

Let us know how it turns out if you go forward and try some.

geoffholden

All the laminate counter tops I've seen around here are particle board, which might look interesting when turned, but I suspect you'd need extremely sharp tools to avoid a ton of tear out.
MDF wouldn't be very interesting turned, as there's no real texture to it. And it gives very fine dust, which is pretty toxic.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

chartle

All the laminate counter tops I've seen around here are particle board, which might look interesting when turned, but I suspect you'd need extremely sharp tools to avoid a ton of tear out.
MDF wouldn't be very interesting turned, as there's no real texture to it. And it gives very fine dust, which is pretty toxic.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yes also I believe the glue will dull your tools quickly.

leehljp

Member Liaison
What Keith said is what I was going to suggest. Soak in CA when close to size.

I have often wondered if it could be stabilized. AND I have wondered how well it could be dyed. I guessing that some dyes might do well on natural MDF.

chartle

Actually they look rather cool. I made 6 for a customer a few months ago - they do tend to dull tools and I soaked with thin CA after I got it turned fairly close. I have a picture somewhere I will try to find - try this link
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/bolt-osb-140911/

But yours are OSB not particle board. OSB is Oriented Strand Board.

Particle boards is well particles aka saw dust and glue.

chartle

What Keith said is what I was going to suggest. Soak in CA when close to size.

I have often wondered if it could be stabilized. AND I have wondered how well it could be dyed. I guessing that some dyes might do well on natural MDF.

By its nature I think Particle boards is pretty much stabilized. Its already soaked in glue under pressure.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

Actually they look rather cool. I made 6 for a customer a few months ago - they do tend to dull tools and I soaked with thin CA after I got it turned fairly close. I have a picture somewhere I will try to find - try this link
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/bolt-osb-140911/

But yours are OSB not particle board. OSB is Oriented Strand Board.

Particle boards is well particles aka saw dust and glue.

I realized that right after I posted!

Woodchipper

Actually, this thread and replies have gotten my curiosity up! I have a lot of the countertop material. Will experiment and let the forum know what I have done and the results. Happy Turning!!!
BTW, I have seen some turnings on other forums where layers of plywood were turned. Rather unique look.

Top Bottom