Segmenting Best way to cut a diagonal along length of blank? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Best way to cut a diagonal along length of blank?

I have run into an instance where I would like to cut a 45 degree diagonal along the full length of the blank. Does anyone know of an efficient/effective way to do this ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Gwatson50 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

This may work for you. It is a jig I made to cut a diagonal on a round safely with a bandsaw I think the pics are self explanatory. The double sided tape holds the blank from rolling while being cut. This jig will also work on a square blank. Adjust the angle of the strips to suit your angle. I hope this works for what you are wanting to accomplish.
Attached Thumbnails
55da2186-4127-49e4-8fe0-480de26d8551.jpg   3799f11b-fa19-4dfe-b747-029dff770092.jpg   6372aa01-1f65-42c5-958a-3cab6b41328d.jpg   e5f7601d-ab58-480c-ae40-1b0f4917a2a6.jpg  
Old 05-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 83

I assume you want to cut a 45 the length of a pen blank(5" or so) in a 3/4" or 1" blank. You can not do it. It will not equal a 45 because you do not have enough material. You can cut the blank in half (corner to corner) What tools do you have?? Can do it on either bandsaw or tablesaw. The kerf on tablesaw is greater so more material lost if that means anything but it would be a cleaner cut. Need a sled Many different ways to make sleds. Use miter slots, use miter gauge, or use fence, Not sure how easy this is to explain but cut a kerf in the sled (whatever method you choose.) Place doublesided tape over the slit. Now lay the blank corner to corner on the center of the kerf. If I am understanding what you want to do.

In my photo this is a jig for cutting 45 degrees in a pen blank. It can be easily used for doing what I think you want to do. As I said lay doublesided tape over kerf and lay the blank corner to corner on center of kerf. Make sure there is tape under the entire blank to keep it secured. Not much room for clamps so I would hold the blank down with a push stick. This can be adapted for a bandsaw as well. Or just freehand it on a scrollsaw or bandsaw. Again if I am not understanding then this is all moot
Attached Thumbnails
imgp0970.jpg  

Last edited by jttheclockman; 05-28-2018 at 10:03 AM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
I assume you want to cut a 45 the length of a pen blank(5" or so) in a 3/4" or 1" blank. You can not do it. It will not equal a 45 because you do not have enough material. You can cut the blank in half (corner to corner) What tools do you have?? Can do it on either bandsaw or tablesaw. The kerf on tablesaw is greater so more material lost if that means anything but it would be a cleaner cut. Need a sled Many different ways to make sleds. Use miter slots, use miter gauge, or use fence, Not sure how easy this is to explain but cut a kerf in the sled (whatever method you choose.) Place doublesided tape over the slit. Now lay the blank corner to corner on the center of the kerf. If I am understanding what you want to do.

In my photo this is a jig for cutting 45 degrees in a pen blank. It can be easily used for doing what I think you want to do. As I said lay doublesided tape over kerf and lay the blank corner to corner on center of kerf. Make sure there is tape under the entire blank to keep it secured. Not much room for clamps so I would hold the blank down with a push stick. This can be adapted for a bandsaw as well. Or just freehand it on a scrollsaw or bandsaw. Again if I am not understanding then this is all moot
Nice jig John!
I think we both are not sure as to what George is trying to accomplish without some pics. A 45 degree cut lengthwise a square blank becomes a straight cut when turned round.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

From what I am reading, you basically want a miter cut the length of the blank. This would be better on a bandsaw as it has a thinner kerf. It can be done with a thin kerf circular saw blade too, except the circular blades do have a thicker kerf.

There have been several posts here over the years with a jig for running the length of the blank.

You need a sled to slide with the kerf; then put two boards on each side of the kerf. These two boards need to be edged with the 45į angle; The two boards together will look like a "V" with the kerf (blade) running the length between the middle of the V.

Add the blank into the "V" (use clamps) and slide the sled into the blade.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry for the ambiguity in the post. I have attached a drawing of the cuts I believe I need to make in order to create the pattern Iím looking for. I think I have been given some good hints ... Iím thinking I need to create a special sled for the corner-to-corner cuts.

img_0081.jpg

Old 05-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 4

It looks like you're attempting a radial segment.
Make a V-sled and cut it on the table saw.

Edit: Similar to this drawing.

Last edited by Terredax; 05-28-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Terredax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Perfect! Thanks! G

Old 05-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Thanks John for the VISUAL. That is what I was trying to describe! That will do it!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Are you also planning on cuts through the other lines on the blank's end? As in dividing the blank into 8 pieces?
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads