Best tube adhesive? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I use the gorilla glue for wood and the two part epoxy for acrylic. Let them cure overnight...good to go. I was having too many failures with CA and also have had the tubes set before being all the way inserted.
Loucurr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 11

If you are using CA you should be using thick as it is better at gap filling. Also, I know CA is instant glue but 10 minutes isn’t very long. Give it more time to properly cure.

With any of the mentioned glues you need to ensure the entire tube has complete coverage. That is probably the most common reason for failure.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaroodle View Post
Thanks all.
Can't really do much about hole size. i.e. 7mm tube & drill bit.
Andy; The drill bit specified is the most commonly available drill bit size. Notice I didn't say anything about close fit?

I don't use a 7mm drill bit. I use an "H" or "I" (letter) bit for a close sliding fit. Your other comments look good.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 8

I use gorilla glue for all my tubes, plastic & wood. I like the way it expands to fill the gaps. Never had a fail with Gorilla glue. I used to use CA for this but had several fails and also had the glue set while pushing the tube through.
Bryguy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Gorilla glue, accelerated by water inside the tube before putting the tube in place makes for a quick cure and unbreakable bond! Been preaching this for several years- -to the choir apparently. Never had a failure. Phil
philipff is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 1

2 part Epoxy here. 5 minute or 30 minute depending on the amount of glueup I have to do.
gtriever is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

What works beat for me so far:

2 part epoxy, 5 minute. Mix enough to do 3 sets of blanks at a time in the cap of an empty 20 ounce soda bottle. Use the same cap twice before tossing.

Insert in while twisting from one end until only about 1/2-3/8 inch of tube is still exposed (enough to hold on to) with the “glue ring” that pushes out, then remove and insert the end with the glue ring into the opposite end of the blank while twisting until fully seated.

Let dry until tomorrow. Oh, and I have an old 4-way rasp I use to scuff the exterior of smooth tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaroodle View Post
Thanks all.
Can't really do much about hole size. i.e. 7mm tube & drill bit.
Andy; The drill bit specified is the most commonly available drill bit size. Notice I didn't say anything about close fit?

I don't use a 7mm drill bit. I use an "H" or "I" (letter) bit for a close sliding fit. Your other comments look good.
Randy, can you expand on the "H" or "I"? I'm assuming you mean that they provide a tighter (better) fit than the 7mm bit for the 7mm tubes? Since H & I are 2 different sizes which one works best for a 7mm tube. Also wondering if Gorilla glue, because it expands, is actually a better choice than even the 2 part epoxy solution if I just stick with a 7mm bit?

I have also realized that I need to do a bunch of blanks as a batch then let them cure overnight rather than doing them one at a time right after I insert the tubes. I'm starting to get orders for pens and want to make sure I can provide a quality product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipff View Post
Gorilla glue, accelerated by water inside the tube before putting the tube in place makes for a quick cure and unbreakable bond! Been preaching this for several years- -to the choir apparently. Never had a failure. Phil
"Never had a failure" seems like a good reason to try this method. Plus, mixing the epoxy is kind of a pain.

Last edited by ramaroodle; 05-11-2018 at 12:29 PM.
ramaroodle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads