Segmenting Best glue for Spectraply?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello IAP! I hope this weekend finds all of us doing what we like to do. For me, it's cutting apart a Spectraply blank and regluing it back together to modify it to my tastes. Can I use regular Titebond II wood glue, or would CA, epoxy, or perhaps something else (urethane/polyurethane adhesive etc) be better? Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

It depends......... If you are cutting into the actual wood fibers and gluing wood to wood than there is no better glue than Titebond II for this. If you are cutting into the blank and there is glue residue left from what they glue the blanks together than an epoxy is the best glue. What are you trying to do. These are my thoughts.

Thanks John. Titebond II should do the trick, of which I have plenty onhand. I'm cutting at an angle so I'll be gluing cut fibers to cut fibers. As for what I'm trying to do, nothing major, and certainly nothing like I've seen here, but hopefully I'll get pics up in a week ;) I designed a simple jig and picked up all the supplies for it as well as cutting most the wood for it, but I plan to turn two pens tomorrow that I glued up today, so putting the jig together and modifying the sprectraply will have to wait. I've had this idea along with the blank for several weeks and I'm finally working on it in between other projects. For all I know, it's probably been done here before. Thanks for your recommendation.

Jay

Last edited:

thrustmonkey

Expensive Shipping

I just ordered a box of each, and shipping was $27 to me, 30 miles south of Chicago.
I hope these blanks were worth it.

jttheclockman

I just ordered a box of each, and shipping was $27 to me, 30 miles south of Chicago.
I hope these blanks were worth it.

The blanks are definitely worth it but what you do with them is up to you. :)

If you sell the pens or stoppers made from them just add the cost of shipping into the price and the shipping to you price goes away. I am sure you have seen many examples of people using them here and the fantastic looking items they have produced. Enjoy and we all look forward to seeing what you come up with.

campzeke

Titebond worked for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4742.jpg
    IMG_4742.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 213
Thanks for the heads up on the sales. I missed out on the larger blanks. I've got the blank halfway done, just have some sanding then a few more cuts & gluing to do. I've been busy with other things so it's sitting on a table waiting for me to get around to it. So far my idea seems like it will work.

Top Bottom