Alumilite cloud - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Alumilite cloud

I've only cast a few blanks so far with alumilite and have had good success, but the one I cast last night turned out very cloudy. the top and edges were pure white. I think most of it will turn out and it looks clear at the blank.

I know uneven ratio mix can cause cloudiness, but what other factors will cause it? The mix was spot on. I'm thinking maybe moisture? too much mold releas spray maybe?

Get the Pressure Pot Caddy!
Vertical Casting System
The MakerHive

BeeAMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Glenn - I cast with Alumilite, I think your problem is moisture, it always turns it cloudy if moisture is present.

Happy turning - Tom

Happily Turning on my Robust Sweet 16 Long Bed & General 25-200

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard
HamTurns is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

It could be when stirring you need to make sure you get the bottom and sides. When I didn't get the bottom stirred in well the top of the blank would turn white. Luckily it was just the top and I was able to turn it off and save the blank.
Kenny Durrant is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's a good point to, I used a clear solo cup, where as before i used clear cocktail cups. the cocktail cups are smooth bottoms and sides, The solo cup does not a smooth bottom. So I was unable to get a good scrape on sides and bottom.

It was fairly humid in my shop last night also, could be a combo of both. Hopefully I can save the blank, or I'll try again.

Thanks!

Vertical Casting System
The MakerHive

Old 07-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

This was just asked in a FB casting group and most say its not mixing thoroughly.

I sort of cut the bottom of my sticks in a way to get into that corner and the bottom. I'll post a pic later today.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
This was just asked in a FB casting group and most say its not mixing thoroughly.

I sort of cut the bottom of my sticks in a way to get into that corner and the bottom. I'll post a pic later today.
I'm going to pick up more of those cocktail cups i used before. I think it mixes better. The only reason I tried the mini solo cups is because the cocktail cups crack easy if you squeeze to hard.

Vertical Casting System
The MakerHive

Old 07-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here is what I do. the way I cut it lets it get into the corners.

I also point the other end to scoop Pearl Ex.
Attached Thumbnails
stir.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not mixing properly causes it to not cure properly. It stays gooey. Cloudiness is do To to moisture. Clear your compressor line and put everything in the oven while u are getting ur amounts ready to warm and dry your molds and spatulas

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just started having the same problem with Alumilite Clear slow version. Spoke with Carol at Alumilite and cloudy product is NOT from moisture. The only thing that causes cloudiness is to much part "A" or not getting it mixed properly. I measure in grams and was very precise and I mix with a small flexible rubber spatula and had a good mix. She said to try using just a small amount less of part "A". I reduced part "A" by about 10 - 15% and it worked fine. Don't know why this just started, never had a problem before. I think someone at Alumilite must have mixed up a batch of part "A" that was to strong. Don't know if that's even possible but something went wrong.
She also said that if you still have bubbles after having spent the proper amount of time in the pressure pot then that is caused by moisture in the product. I told her my basement shop is 65 degrees and she said that would have no effect on cloudiness or bubbles. It would just extend the curing time.
Have to add that Alumilite is a very good company as for customer service. They will spend as much time on the phone with you as needed to answer any questions you have or solve a problem you are having with their product.

Last edited by upstatepano; 12-24-2017 at 04:29 PM.
upstatepano is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 61

I had a few cloud up on me this weekend. I figured I didn't mix it well enough. Also on that pour I had 2 more grams of A, so that may have been an issue.

Check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/EBWoodworx/
EBorraga is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads