abalone shell source

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrimsonKeel

Im looking for a source of small particles of abalone. the plan is to attach them to a tube and cast them. Most places are selling the entire shell or pieces too big for what i want. most likely 1-2mm across is what i need.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

When I first began making abalone shell pens the pieces were random sizes and thicknesses. I began by spray painting the tubes black and using medium CA to glue them to the tube. If the pieces were too big I used wire cutters to cut them smaller. After they were glued to the tube I would lightly sand them down to the thickness I needed. I would start on a belt sander and finish on the lathe to make sure they were below the bushings for casting. I polished them on the lathe and them wiped them down with Denatured alcohol prior to casting with Silmar 41. Make sure you wear a respirator and not breath in shell dust.

Here's a Parker style twist pen I made with them back around 2010 .http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...alone-classic-twist-classic-twist-abalone.jpg

Last edited:

Skie_M

HEY! Check online or locally if you have the store nearby .... but when I want abalone shell pieces I go to Jo-Ann's Fabrics and Crafts supplies.

I bought several of their 12-oz bags to take home and play with ... they weren't more than about 7 or 8 bucks. (oops, i guess they are sold in 24oz and 32oz sizes, lol...)

Side note, however ... the WHITE is perfectly good natural stuff. The blue, black and other colors, while they LOOK nice at first, are dyed. Wash them VERY WELL to ensure no excess product is going to spread throughout your acrylic when you cast or glue.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN THIS PRODUCT NORMALLY. The material is a form of calcium phosphate (bone) that can chip and shatter and break loose from the matrix material you have them cast or glued into. SAND THEM DOWN FROM START TO FINISH AND USE VERY GOOD AIR FILTRATION AND VACUUM TO KEEP THE DUST DOWN. The use of a FULL FACEMASK is highly recommended if you like your eyes the way they are, even if you sand it down!

Oh, here it is online ... :)

https://www.joann.com/large-polished-crushed-shells-24oz/14158273.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom