8 ring Celtic knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

The way I approach it is to mill an approximately 125/128" square length of stock to an octagon by using a 45° chamfer bit in a router table. Then it's no different than making a 4 loop knot. Okay, maybe a little more anxiety is involved.

Example: 12th Bash Ballpoint Contest

I use a tablesaw with a 1/16" kerf circular saw blade. Make the knot material as thin as you can, but just a bit thicker than the kerf the blade makes. Then use a whisper thin spacer to increase the size of the kerf to fit the knot material thickness.

I've been meaning to write a tutorial, but I was interrupted by too many other projects around the house.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The way I approach it is to mill an approximately 125/128" square length of stock to an octagon by using a 45° chamfer bit in a router table. Then it's no different than making a 4 loop knot. Okay, maybe a little more anxiety is involved.

Example: 12th Bash Ballpoint Contest

I use a tablesaw with a 1/16" kerf circular saw blade. Make the knot material as thin as you can, but just a bit thicker than the kerf the blade makes. Then use a whisper thin spacer to increase the size of the kerf to fit the knot material thickness.

I've been meaning to write a tutorial, but I was interrupted by too many other projects around the house.

G'Day, Brian! Ya beat me to to post the info... Glad you were peeking!

As an aside; posting the specifics, will help; but not insure success... Practice, practice, practice

Oh, Have Fun!

(Still a brilliant pen that I envy!!! Cheers Mate!).

chartle

Making a thick pen with a steep angle also helps. Too thin or too shallow and its a Celtic lump. :)

Pierre---

You may cut an octagon, then cut without going through, stop a wee before having two pieces, this way the knot will stay in alignment.

Attachments

• 100_4565 bis.jpg
    100_4565 bis.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_4578 bis.jpg
    100_4578 bis.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 149
Top Bottom