Is there anyone here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marnat3

Is there a chapter here in Minnesota? The posts are pretty sparse.
Would really like to know if there is a formal group local.
Thanks .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marnat3

Thanks and Yes. but the last post was in Nov. And it seems like there is not really an organized group that meets regularly. Looking for a ongoing thing.

deemka

Marnat3 said:
Thanks and Yes. but the last post was in Nov. And it seems like there is not really an organized group that meets regularly. Looking for a ongoing thing.

Someone should organize a group that meets regularly.. I would join

Wolf-Sword

Possible meeting location: Woodcraft store in Bloomington.
I have an "in" at that store (I work their :biggrin:) plus the owner would OK with it.

deemka

Possible meeting location: Woodcraft store in Bloomington.
I have an "in" at that store (I work their :biggrin:) plus the owner would OK with it.

Yeah I'm sure timothy (owner) would agree plus we would probably buy something lol..

Your employee name is obviously not wolf sword lol. Jay , Ryan?

stonepecker

If someone starts it.....they will come.
I have spoken to both Tim and 'the wolf'.......positive feed back.
I am talking to others to try and get the people that need to commit to be there.
HOWEVER......from now till Nov 1st.......my work comes first.
If someone else want to lead.......then I will step back.

stonepecker

I recieved the IAP handbook from one of the members and I can see how much is missing. But this a place to start.

I don't know about others, but the spring/fall is totally out for me. I have to make a living. A summer meeting would be hit or miss when everyone is enjoying the nice weather. I am thinking of 4-6 meeting between Nov.1st and Mar. 30th. I know that the weekends for Tim get busy, so am thinking about an evening meeting. Maybe on a Thursday?

Say one middle of November. Another after black Friday. One towards the end of Jan. Feb. and Mar.

What we need is a core of members that is going to always be there. What we need it to plan ahead by setting things up for members to make free time to be at the meetings. What we do at these meetings should help everyone in some form to be better turners. Tips on how to turn all different materials. Matching kits with blanks. Even basic drilling could be a topic of interest for the novice pen makers.

All suggestions would be welcomed and set up by the core people. Advance notice of what will be discussed could be posted. The meeting doesn't have to last long...... but if there is a free Saturday, and Tim would let us, ....maybe we could get the classroom for the day and have a 'learning session' for new turners. Make that a Feb meeting and have a social time with it and the BASH.

Any other thoughts, opinions, ideas?

Last edited:

deemka

Sounds like you covered it.. I live very close to woodccraft and won't have issues showing up even at midnight. ;)

Marnat3

I would definitely try to make it every meet but my son wrestles on Thurs and Sat. Another night would be better maybe. Plenty of time to figure out schedule.

alankulwicki7

I'm game but my schedule varies so I probably can't commit to every meeting. I'd do what I can to make it though....

Woodcraft is good but another possible meeting spot would be Rockler in Maplewood. They have a nice area with a few lathes and other tools....

stonepecker

I don't see any reason why we can't have meetings in both places at some time or another. We could even hold them at someones shop .... if someone would want to offer that. I don't believe that the "Where" is so important and the "What" we want to do.
We have all seen what the 'international' is about. Personally, I would like to show the members (those we can) what "Minnesota Nice" is all about. Maybe even get together a team or two to make things "special" for the 2015 BASH.

I don't expect everyone to commit to all the meetings. However, The 4 or 5 members that we need to make this happen......NEED to commit to them all. We need that "Core Group" that knows what is going on. Where it is happening. And what is the purpose to each and every meeting.

I am willing to make this commitment till April 1, 2015
Is there anyone else willing to be involved in getting this started?
POST here if you are and I will plan a meeting for us in June.....Just to get it going.

Brian G

I'm in. I'm a few minutes from Woodcraft, so I can commit to being one of the core. I like weeknights for meetings better than weekends.

I'm okay with being a go'fer or order follower. I spend my work days trying to be the organizer of stuff. Sometimes it's nice just to be a grunt. :)

alankulwicki7

Hey all,
I stopped in at the Maplewood Rockler store today and talked to the manager. He was more than willing to let us use their store for a meeting site. It's also possible that we could use their tools (lathe, bandsaw, etc) as long as we were responsible, didn't break anything and cleaned up after ourselves.
As far as scheduling, they were pretty flexible. If it were during the week, the meeting would most likely be from 5pm-7pm since the store closes at 7pm. We could end at 8pm if they had an employee stay late.
The other options are weekends. If we had a specific time and date, they would plan their classes around our meeting.

I'm more than happy to help out when I can. Between Fire Dept drill, work hours, kids activities, my wife's travels, etc. my schedule varies a fair amount. If the meeting date is fairly rigid I'm not sure if I could make every meeting. If there were some flexibility then I would be able to commit to more meetings. For instance, if one month the meeting was Saturday from 9am to 11am and the next it was Sunday from 10am to Noon, that would probably work better for me.

Hope this helps!

stonepecker

Anyone else want to be part of the "Core" group? We need more then just 2.

I have no issue moving the meetings around and having them on days/evenings with everyone in mind.

Kelvin k

burnsville

I am interested, don't know if I can commit to anything because I am self employed and some days get long, but sure would like to meet other turners. so if something is set up let me know and will try to make it :)

www.afwoodart.com

Marnat3

I don't have much in the way of knowledge (still pretty new at this) but if the days are right I can commit to 90% of the meetings. I will do what I can to help out.

ericw95

As others have said, with all the other commitments in my life, if the dates work I will be there. With two small kids I don't get much shop time so every time I go down I am a beginner all over again. If we could plan a year of meetings, I could do all I can to block the time and get "approval" to attend.

Marnat3

If we could plan a year of meetings, I could do all I can to block the time and get "approval" to attend.[/quote]

I know what you mean.

stonepecker

Ok everyone. Here is what is happening so far. On June 6th at 6pm there will be a meeting of those people who want to be the 'core group'. This will happen at the Woodcraft store.
I will bring what I have received from the IAP to get things started. I will explain what we need to do to get everything going.
This meeting is a starting point. Nothing more. Hopefully, we will get enough members that the core group will be a good one.
And, I will have a box of blanks and wood for everyone to get something new to turn. It is just some cedar and sugar maple........but it makes for good pratice if nothing else.

See you there.
Wayne

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Ok everyone. Here is what is happening so far. On June 6th at 6pm there will be a meeting of those people who want to be the 'core group'. This will happen at the Woodcraft store.
I will bring what I have received from the IAP to get things started. I will explain what we need to do to get everything going.
This meeting is a starting point. Nothing more. Hopefully, we will get enough members that the core group will be a good one.
And, I will have a box of blanks and wood for everyone to get something new to turn. It is just some cedar and sugar maple........but it makes for good pratice if nothing else.

See you there.
Wayne

Hi Wayne. My name is Dave Drickhamer (ssajn). I'm the Wisconsin Chapter Leader and part of the Chapter Steering Committee. It sounds to me your headed in the right direction. Congratulations on getting a Chapter started.

I've been heading up the Wisconsin Chapter for over 4 years. I'd be happy to share my notes and experience. I've created an Excel spread sheet with membership, attendance, notes from meetings etc. I can send it to you and maybe you can adapt it to meet your needs.

Let me know if there's any other way I can help.

Brian G

I found out that today (Thursday) is the 5th, not the 6th.

That wasn't at all awkward. :bulgy-eyes:

It also confirms that I shouldn't be in charge of anything.

stonepecker

Brian,
You just show up. You are going to be our watchdog. Making sure there are no mistakes.

No harm....No foul....We need people that can laugh at themselves. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a laugh. This is suppose to be fun.

Hope to see everyone there tonight.
Wayne

Top Bottom