November MN IAP meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eajacobson

The first meeting of the season will be Saturday Nov 12.

As part or Turn-A-Palooza, the IAP will be meeting at 3:00 PM at Woodcraft in Bloomington. The meeting will be a presentation on the IAP Collection by curator Mark James from OH. Please plan to attend this very special meeting of the MN IAP chapter.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/collection.php

Turn-A-Palooza is an all-day event at Woodcraft, with pen and other turning activities demonstrated throughout the day.

I hope to see everyone there!

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

I am thinking Saturday after the Woodcraft show.......we might just do supper in the Twin cities Mark.
That way if the members would like to visit more or ask questions....we can do so.
Sunday is going to be our fun day Mark. I got the whole day planned with options built in for last minute local ideas. (Bring your camera) Going to give you a little tour.

I am so looking forward to this.

eajacobson

Mark,

Yes, if you would bring the materials for the demo, that would be great. What would you need for equipment at the demo? Lathe? Anything else?

I'll plan to be at Woodcraft at opening on Saturday to help with any setup you might need to do. Actually, I'll probably stop at the store on Friday evening to get things set up. Approximately how big of a counter-top would you like for the display during the day?

I'll also check with the nearby Davani's Pizza and Hoagies to see if their meeting room would be available Saturday evening.

Looking forward to a great, fun time,
Ed

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark,

Yes, if you would bring the materials for the demo, that would be great. What would you need for equipment at the demo? Lathe? Anything else?

I'll plan to be at Woodcraft at opening on Saturday to help with any setup you might need to do. Actually, I'll probably stop at the store on Friday evening to get things set up. Approximately how big of a counter-top would you like for the display during the day?

I'll also check with the nearby Davani's Pizza and Hoagies to see if their meeting room would be available Saturday evening.

Looking forward to a great, fun time,
Ed

As for the IAP Collection Display: A 6 foot long area would be perfect, I can make do with less, but it's tight, and I can certainly spread out if it's more.

I won't be doing any turning, so for the demo, just a table. I'll have handouts and all the pieces for the process to make the blanks. The demo should not take more than 30-45 minutes with questions - it's pretty straight-forward.

Thanks for your help.

Sprung

I am planning to be there and will probably have my nearly 4 year old son with me. I don't know how long we'll be staying - depends on how well he behaves and how quickly my wife is itching to get back on the road to head home - especially since I do have to be up early on Sunday morning and we'll also have an 8 month old along.

I am very much looking forward to this! I've met Wayne a couple times and Brian briefly and am looking forward to finally meeting some others.

Brian G

Regrettably, I won't be attending. I have a 4 year-old granddaughter's birthday party to attend out of town. I like you guys well enough, but granddaughter birthday parties take precedent.

eajacobson

For after the meeting, I have reserved the party room at the Davanni's at 86th and Lyndale (just six blocks north of Woodcraft). Time starts at 5:30, but I suspect there is some flex room there, if we get done at Woodcraft early. There is no charge for the room, but they do ask that we buy our food there and not bring our own in.

Ed

eajacobson

Regrettably, I won't be attending. I have a 4 year-old granddaughter's birthday party to attend out of town. I like you guys well enough, but granddaughter birthday parties take precedent.

Brian, sorry you will miss this. Fully understand that family comes first, though. Have a great time at the BD party.

endacoz

Out of Town

I wish I could be there! I havn't seen you guys since I did the demo for the group on Casting Pen Hybrid Pen Blanks.

I am out of state for a wedding and visiting a friend who has days - weeks left to live as Leukemia has won.

eajacobson

This just arrived today in the inbox.

Penapalooza_2016.png

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Bump for any last minute viewers!

I am settled in Eau Claire, WI - so the IAP Collection is on the road again! Today was an easy 10 hr drive. Will be at Woodcraft at 9 AM.

Cheers!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thank you to the wonderful folks in Minnesota for hosting me earlier today.

I had a wonderful time putting a few more faces to names and shaking the hands of new friends!

Until next time - Cheers!

alankulwicki7

Mark,
It was a pleasure to meet you and thanks for bringing the IAP collection to Minnesota. Seeing these pens in person gives you a much better perspective on the quality and detail they each have.
Thanks again, Mark!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark,
It was a pleasure to meet you and thanks for bringing the IAP collection to Minnesota. Seeing these pens in person gives you a much better perspective on the quality and detail they each have.
Thanks again, Mark!

I had a great time, and hope to come back!

Thanks again for the hospitality (and Deep Dish :good: - a weakness for me).

Minnesota friends - Be well and stay healthy! :wink:

Cheers, Mark

Sprung

Mark, thank you again very much for bringing the collection to Minnesota! It's inspiring to look through them and see all the various skills and techniques represented. It really brings it to life seeing them in person. It also made me realize that some of the ones I'd seen pictures of and thought that I'd never be able to try and do a similar thing with, accomplishing some of those is totally within reach. Others I'll never be able to come near the skill and technique displayed!

I also appreciated your explanation of your chevron segmenting technique. It also came with the realization that, yes, this is something I could easily accomplish! (Also enjoyed looking through your case of your own pens!)

Thanks again, Mark! Was very nice to meet you - as well as to also meet the others who were able to attend.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hey Matt, I'm going to hold you to your thoughts on making a Chevron pen! Yup, the process is not too bad, and makes for a very interesting blank. Go for it!

And I also enjoyed shaking your hand and getting to meet in person another turner that I admire.

Be well.

Top Bottom