MEETING - March 20, 2016

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

:highfive: MARK THIS ONE DOWN BOYS AND GIRLS :highfive:

At the last meeting we were informed that Woodcraft is changing their display and needs some pens to show. We were also informed that there were 6 lathes that we can use. So pack your tools, bring the things you think you need, and show up on March 20, 2016.

WE will be turning from 11am till 3 pm. People will be coming through the class room watching US. We can watch eachother as we turn for the fun of turning. Making pens. And if you forget somethiing I am willing to bet there is a whole store we can buy to keep going.

Thinking out loud........ Social hour / set up starting at 10 am. Someone gets hungry? Food run to White Castle or Arby's.

INSTEAD OF A BLANK SWAP.......... make a pen, and we will drop them into a hat.
You can pick out as many as you put in. I will have the hat and starting pens.

This is really going to be an all day demo of what we can do. Not only showing off our skills but showing off the friendship of the IAP.

Any ideas for the day ???? Lets talk about them here. Membership drive?
Promote the IAP....AAW....Woodcraft. Is someone close to the AAW headquarters that they could get some handouts?

This is a first time and I am willing to bet if it works well......we can do this again in the future.

Who has the cookies this time? Everyone......Safe Turning.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

It's 37 degrees colder where I am today than where I was yesterday. :mad:

If I understand, we're going to be turning pens for Woodcraft to use in their display, correct? They will supply the material and components, but we bring our own tools?

One of the PITHs will be made from the blank we selected during the Feb. meeting, right?

Looking forward to the March Meeting.

Brian

stonepecker

Brian,
You are correct about the PITH and hopefully, the blank you got wil work for you.
It doesn't have to be that blank.......But at least bring that back to show.

I guess that Woodcraft doesn't need us to make pens for them......I guess Jeff was joking. Woodcraft will rent us a lathe for the day @$15 .... Per Lathe
I have reserved one through Ed and will be there early like last month. Contact Ed if you want to have a lathe.

I will be turning pens. Showing the public and visiting with everyone.
I will also talk about my trip and share what happened along the way.
Tonight, Chuck, Mark, Ernie, and I are having supper after a wonderful day together.

I have learned a few things here in Indy. Seem the IAP collection. Have gotten to know some really nice people.
Looking forward now to next week in GA. (I will be calling you Warren) T-shirt weather here........Lovin' it!

Last edited:

eajacobson

I've got Wayne and Brian so far. I'm not sure if we will have to confirm our numbers before the meeting, or if we can pay for the number of lathes we use at the meeting.

Also, I spoke with Jeff tonight at Woodcraft. It seems they have a drawer full of kits and blanks that are to be the display units, and have had them set aside for a whole, but the store has been too busy to allow anyone to make some "in the quiet times". Still up in the air if we will make anything for the store, but we will be making pens on the 20th.

eajacobson

Confirmed:

- We can pay for lathes used after the meeting (but still the day of the meeting).

- There are a total of six lathes available. Two have been spoken for, so there are still several available to be claimed.

- Officially, we will have access to them from 10:30 to 3:30. We were planning to start cleaning up at 3:00, so the end time isn't an issue. I suspect they won't mind if we are there at 10:00 and start talking or shopping.

See everyone on the 19th.

Ed

stonepecker

The date I am looking at is Sunday March 20th. :bulgy-eyes: :eek:

If this isn't correct or plans have been changed .... someone send me a PM. PLEASE!

Otherwise I will be there on Sunday. :biggrin:
Wayne

eajacobson

Wayne,

Sorry, my fault. It is indeed Sunday the 20th. I just need to watch closer when I'm rushing a post late at night.

See everyone on the 20th!

Ed

The date I am looking at is Sunday March 20th. :bulgy-eyes: :eek:

If this isn't correct or plans have been changed .... someone send me a PM. PLEASE!

Otherwise I will be there on Sunday. :biggrin:
Wayne

eajacobson

Ethan, Thanks. Got you down for a lathe.

That leaves three still to be spoken for.

You should plan on bringing your own tools. Please see these sections of the rental agreement:

[FONT=Arial, serif]RENTAL TERMS & Conditions[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, serif]Set up time is allowed up to one hour prior to event, pending when store opens.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, serif]Work benches, folding chairs, stools, counter tops are available for use during the event.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, serif]Renter assumes full responsibility for any damages incurred to the Woodcraft class room during room set up and/or the scheduled event.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial, serif]Renter and attendees must supply their own tools, safety gear, etc. and may not use the tools in the class room except for power equipment that is rented for use during the event.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Arial, serif]Renter will clean up space post-event including trash handling, sweeping floor, putting chairs back, etc.[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Arial, serif]Renter will provide a 72-hour notice if needing to cancel event.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, serif]WAIVER of liability [/FONT][FONT=Arial, serif]([/FONT][FONT=Arial, serif]References to Woodcraft below includes the Corporate Office and the local store in Bloomington)[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, serif]Renter understands Woodcraft is not responsible for the loss or damage of any equipment or supplies of the renter or attendees.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, serif]To the fullest extent permitted by the law, the renter shall hold harmless Woodcraft and its employees from and against claims, damages, losses and expenses, including but not limited to attorney's fees, which arise out of or in any way related to any and all personal injury, death or property damage in connection with the rental of Woodcraft's class room.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, serif]In no event will Woodcraft be liable for special indirect or consequential damages arising out of, or in connection with the rental of the class room rendered under this agreement.[/FONT]

Ed

Last edited:

RIPPIN45

To All;
I will be there March 20th! Stonepecker gave us some blanks at the last meeting in February and we were to bring back the pen we made from the blanks ( I will do that). Looking forward to it and I will need to reserve a lathe.

stonepecker

As long as I was passing through..........

Stopped in at Woodcraft and paid my rental fee.

Just a For Your Information to everyone............ The rental is for the lathe. You need to bring all your tools, chucks, mandrels, etc.
NOTHING ELSE comes with the rental for the lathe. Put together your stuff that you will need.

I am going to predrill and tube a few blanks. I will have a few extra with me. May I also suggest that you bring a few for display as we are promoting both the hobby and the IAP.

Turn safely and be ready for FUN....... "Who has the cookies."

endacoz

I noticed last month that they had a 8 inch slow speed grinder. Are we able to use that? I can just bring carbide But I'd prefer to be able to at least sharpen my roughing gouge.

eajacobson

I had noted it before, but Wayne makes it certain - bring everything you want to be able to use, except the lathe.

Ed

As long as I was passing through..........

Stopped in at Woodcraft and paid my rental fee.

Just a For Your Information to everyone............ The rental is for the lathe. You need to bring all your tools, chucks, mandrels, etc.
NOTHING ELSE comes with the rental for the lathe. Put together your stuff that you will need.

I am going to predrill and tube a few blanks. I will have a few extra with me. May I also suggest that you bring a few for display as we are promoting both the hobby and the IAP.

Turn safely and be ready for FUN....... "Who has the cookies."

eajacobson

Ethan,

According to the rental agreement, it is only the lathes that we will have access to. Plan on carbides, or maybe a diamond hone for the HSS.

If there is enough interest, I can see about bringing my own low speed grinder and jig setup.

Ed

I noticed last month that they had a 8 inch slow speed grinder. Are we able to use that? I can just bring carbide But I'd prefer to be able to at least sharpen my roughing gouge.

endacoz

I'm planning on turning a lot so Im interested in a grinder being brought.

If you'd rather not lug yours around I could bring my 8 in Rikon with the Wolverine setup on it. (I have the stock aluminum oxide wheels, not a CBN)

Brian G

If anybody has a barrel trimmer or two that gives you fits, bring it with you and we'll sharpen it. If that doesn't help, we'll take turns cursing it. I'll bring a hand drill, too.

I'll bring a drill chuck, 4 jaw chuck, and the drill bits needed for any kit you might have.

I set myself up with 19 pens ready to turn. Two are Berea's new "Long Boy" components.

Looking forward to the turn-fest!

eajacobson

I'll have a load of goods along with, too. Chucks, barrel trimmer, mandrel, a few carbide tools, etc.

And, my 8" slow speed grinder, with a Vari-grind 2, etc.

Ed

If anybody has a barrel trimmer or two that gives you fits, bring it with you and we'll sharpen it. If that doesn't help, we'll take turns cursing it. I'll bring a hand drill, too.

I'll bring a drill chuck, 4 jaw chuck, and the drill bits needed for any kit you might have.

I set myself up with 19 pens ready to turn. Two are Berea's new "Long Boy" components.

Looking forward to the turn-fest!

stonepecker

I will have my 'barrel trimmer I made for the lathe. I have 6 blanks already to go. Also will be bringing a chuck and some 'larger' pieces of wood.
Yes, I know we are turning pens but sometimes you need to do something odd just for fun.
Does anyone plan on bring a finishing system? Buffer?
I will have some sand paper to share with those that like to 'power sand'.....LOL

See everyone later......

endacoz

I really enjoyed our time today and seeing our fellow Minnesotan Turners in action! I learned some tips and tricks today! Thanks guys.

Are we looking at the 10th of April for the next meeting?

Ethan

Top Bottom