IAP...Mn. Jan. meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Having a meeting place is wonderful.

JAN. 11, 2015.......Sunday afternoon 1-3pm

I have spoken to Tim and he said we can have the room that afternoon.
WOODCRAFT on So Lyndale Ave in Bloomington is the palce
There will be a demo. (Still deciding on what about)
I WILL BRING COOKIES.

:thunder:THIS IS ALL DEPENDING ON THE WEATHER.:rain:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

Last edited:

stonepecker

The demo has been decided.

Doug will be showing how to take a 'slimline' pen and make it into a 'fatline' pen.
Doug will be showing where to start....... to the end product.
With all afternoon in the shop, all questions should get answered.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Wayne

alankulwicki7

The demo has been decided.

Doug will be showing how to take a 'slimline' pen and make it into a 'fatline' pen.
Doug will be showing where to start....... to the end product.
With all afternoon in the shop, all questions should get answered.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.
Wayne

Well I've never given a demo before so we'll see how this goes:eek:

Actually the Fat Line pens are fun to make and surprisingly easy. I will go over the process I use to make the Fat Line and probably a quick tutorial on my version of the CA finish.

Should be fun!

stonepecker

Everyone please keep posting so I have a head count and know how many dozen of cookies to bring. So far I see 4 of us and 1 possible.

Please remember that this is weather permitting.
THAT will be decided the week before from any weather casts. I trust the local weathermen.

Silly Me.

endacoz

When / where does the Minnesota wood turners meet?

Never been, worth paying dues to be a member? Also things \ wood for sale at these events? aka Should I bring cash?

Last edited:

alankulwicki7

MN wood turners is a great club. Dues are $30/yr and you get 10% discount at Rockler and Woodcraft (I think) on regular price items. They typically meet at Salvation Army headquarters in Roseville on first Tuesday of each month. The meetings offer a wood raffle, tool raffle, a demo, a dvd library and more.
They offer about many other things thru the year. Some demos by other members and some demos/hands on training with well known turners (Trent Bosch, Bill Grumbine, Cindy Drozda, etc.
I don't make very many meetings but the extras make the $30 well worth it...

eajacobson

I'll second the comments on Minnesota Woodturners. They cover lots of turning, and an occasional topic specifically on pens, but I would say expect it to be of general turning interest, not pen turning interest. I'm a member, and enjoy the variety.

On the topic of the IAP meeting - ultra long range forecast for Jan 11: high of 14, S winds at about 5, and a 15% chance of things falling at the time of the meeting. Sounds like any other Winter day in Minnesota. :)

Ed

Brian G

I think I'll be able to attend for part of the alloted time, assuming weather doesn't get in the way of the day. Weather won't be a problem for me; I'm only a few miles from the store.

I propose for the Agenda a discussion about donating prizes for the IAP Birthday Bash. Wayne has mentioned sponsoring the kids' contests.

stonepecker

I have already made the move and have the blanks that we need. However, I am always willing to add to the pile. Any and all blanks I recieve for this project will be used in someway within the IAP and the kids contests.
I will let everyone know what I have, when we meet next weekend. It might be cold but it doesn't look like any snow is comming.

I will say right now, that I have had "the talk" with someone about plain, straight grained, common wood, uninteresting, blanks as prizes. THAT will not be happening as long as I have anything to say. The prize boxes we will be donating will be more then the value shown. Not more blanks, but better blanks. I have already recieved blanks from someone well known to the IAP for his quality and craftmanship. I have also aquired some blanks from someone with a very big heart.

The IAP is more then a pen turning site. (Just my opinion) The quality of the member here and around the world just amazes me daily.

See everyone on the 11th.
Wayne

endacoz

I went to the Minnesota wood turners meeting in Roseville. Theyoung demoed 4 different sharpening systems. I paid my $30 and the wood raffle was awesome! thanks for recommending it to me.

Anyone that is coming to the pen turner meeting use shine juice or other wood finishing concoctions? I'd love to try a small sample or get your recipe and see what it looks like on a finished piece?

I have only used CA, Dr's woodshop pens plus and Mylands friction polish. As I start to do more than just pens I want to learn more finishes.

Looking forward to the meeting!

alankulwicki7

I went to the Minnesota wood turners meeting in Roseville. Theyoung demoed 4 different sharpening systems. I paid my $30 and the wood raffle was awesome! thanks for recommending it to me.

Anyone that is coming to the pen turner meeting use shine juice or other wood finishing concoctions? I'd love to try a small sample or get your recipe and see what it looks like on a finished piece?

I have only used CA, Dr's woodshop pens plus and Mylands friction polish. As I start to do more than just pens I want to learn more finishes.

Looking forward to the meeting!

Glad you joined up. I missed the meeting so I actually need to renew myself.

For other finishes, I've been using a combo of beeswax and mineral oil lately. It looks great, has a nice feel and is easy to apply. I use it on everything but pens (CA). I'll bring a few things that I've used it on.

Looking forward to Sunday :)

MNLarry

Hello, all,

I just found you on IAP website. Name is Larry, and I live near Northfield. I've been turning for a couple years. Mostly pens, but just bought a new Nova Comet II and hope to do some larger stuff, too.

Sorry I won't be able to be there on Sunday...it's tough but someone's got to go, and I am being forced to go to Phoenix starting on Sunday. Darn...golf will be had.

Looking forward to meeting you at a future event. Keep posting.

LarryM (MNLarry)
Northfield, MN

stonepecker

I will have cookies for all. Please bring your own drinks.
If I can get the daughter to do it......fresh brownies also.

Personally, I am looking forward to the demo.
One can never have enough information.

Larry, have fun golfing........just bring some of the heat back with ya.
(Have I said I have enough snow lately?)

eajacobson

I trust the meeting is on - weather now looks like a high of around 13, NW winds around 5, and almost no chance of things falling from the sky, though it will be cloudy.

Looking forward to meeting the group.

Ed

alankulwicki7

I trust the meeting is on - weather now looks like a high of around 13, NW winds around 5, and almost no chance of things falling from the sky, though it will be cloudy.

Looking forward to meeting the group.

Ed

Not sure about everyone else but I plan on being there. A little cold or snow has never stopped me :biggrin:

stonepecker

The meeting today was fun. Lots of interesting things were discussed and many questions answered.

The demo by Doug was great. Lots of information and even some talk about how to do more then just 'turn' the pen.
Enjoyed seeing some of the other things that Doud brought. He is a man of many talents.
If things work.......here are some pictures of the demo.
0111151421.jpg0111151419a.jpg
Thank you Doug for all the help and information.

8 Members present, (3 new people),decided on Feb. 15th, 2015 (which is a Sunday) at Woodcraft again. Meeting to start at 1pm.
Sorry to all the people that have commitments already.
I will post again this announcement for next month.

Attachments

• 0111151419.jpg
    0111151419.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Marnat3

It was great to actually get to meet everyone face to face.
During the meeting we also got to meet a couple new turners, an 8 year old who showed us his first pen and another possible new member.
It was a good day.

Brian G

Thank you Doug for the demonstration, thank you Wayne for leading the charge, and thank you Woodcraft for hosting.

I apologize that I had to show up late, and then leave early. It was good to see everyone.

So we're back at Woodcraft on the 15th. . . and I'm up for the next demonstraton. I need suggestions. I could resurrect the Celtic Knot Demo I did for Penapalooza, but there wasn't any turning as part of that demonstration. I could easily add that in; just bring safety glasses in case pieces go flying.

Other suggestions are welcomed, even if it's two or three short ones.

Marnat3

Yes , thanks Doug. And Wayne for taking the lead as it were.
Brian, I think a Celtic Knot demo would be great.

Last edited:

alankulwicki7

It was great to meet everyone today and to learn things from you as well. I want to see your 'Fat Line' pens posted soon! I'll try and finish off the pens I had in progress today and post them.
I'm not sure if I can make the next meeting. My son has a cub scout event that day. That's too bad because I want to learn Celtic Knots. It's one thing I haven't tried yet....

Sprung

Sounds like a good time was had - sorry I couldn't make it and meet y'all. Sundays just don't work for me, which means I won't make it next time either. Do hope to get up there for a meeting sometime! The Celtic Knot demo sounds like it would be good - something I'd like to try and I'm sure my wife would love it if I made her a Celtic Knot pen.

eajacobson

I'll add in another "Great meeting! Thanks Doug and Wayne." Looking forward to the 15th, and this time I'll try to get there earlier Wayne...so you won't wonder if anyone is going to show up. :)

Regarding the day of the week - those that are making the Sunday meetings obviously can, and might prefer it. Maybe for March we get a date available for a Saturday and see if others can make that date (though personally, my Saturdays book up faster then Sunday afternoons).

Ed

eajacobson

I'm not too far from Rockler in Maplewood when I'm at work. I'll see if I can stop by there some evening and check on their availability for a March meeting. Initial query will be for Saturdays - either the 14th or 21st. Once I have something, I'll start a March meeting thread. In the mean time, maybe we should start a February thread to collect the demo ideas, etc.

Ed

endacoz

March demo?

During the January meeting you had asked if anyone wanted to do demos in the future. If people are interested I'd be willing to do a demonstration on using carbide tools while turning acrylic blanks. The best visual demonstration would be of an acrylic tool handle (ice cream scoop / pizza cutter or a bottle stopper. Or I can do an acrylic rollerball pen if we want to stay on that topic.

When using carbide tools on acrylic we can often find easy catches that cause the acrylic to chip off instead of nice shavings. Id love to share my mistakes and tips.

Along with the carbide topic I'd also be willing to show the process of how I made my own carbide tool handles (making everything but the carbide cutter, ... Wood Handel and how to tap threads into the steel bars for the cutters I can get online very cheap through the IAP.)

alankulwicki7

Unfortunately those dates in March won't work for me. I'll be sunning my pasty behind:eek: on a beach in Hawaii:biggrin:

Don't change the meeting on my account but I think I could make the 28th work though...

Top Bottom