IAP...MN Feb meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eajacobson

As noted on the January meeting thread, the February meeting is set for the 15th at Woodcraft in Bloomington. Meeting starts at 1:00, but social time starts at 12:00.

Brian G is scheduled to do a demo - maybe on Celtic Knots, but he is still taking suggestions. He suggests you bring safety glasses in case pieces go flying on the Celtic Knot turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

I will be there weather permitting. I always get there early to shop any specials. :beer:
Safety should always be #1 no matter where we are. Safety glasses, shields, whatever make a person feel safe should be brought.

I will try to talk the wife and daughter into bars and brownies again.
Home made is so much better then store bought.

Remember, Feb 1st is the beginning of the "BASH".......a fun time will be had by joining in. You have from now till then, to get ideas for any contest entries.
Almost willing to bet we all enter 'fatlines'.:wink::rolleyes:

eajacobson

Maybe keep the blanks wrapped, or in bags of their own, so that you can't "feel your way". :)

If you want, I can see about bringing a number of small brown paper bags.

Or not, it all depends on what we want to put into it.

Ed

stonepecker

Sounds like a great idea to get something yo don't have. Surprise blank for those that want to play.
Each blank to stay wrapped? Maybe bring them back to the March meeting completed?

I am in for this.

MARCH MEETING is to be decided by the avaiablity of the room.
I can't do the 28th either.......to close to leaving on the road for me.

Brian G

We could wrap them individually, I guess.

I was thinking we'd toss them in a big enough bag and each take a turn pulling one out. If you get your own, you select again.

I'll bring extras in case we have a few people that didn't get the message.

eajacobson

My thoughts on wrapped blanks for the exchange is to prevent anyone from trying to feel around in the bag to try and "choose" the blank they get - just trying to keep the picking more random. Like I said - just a thought.

And, I was going to wait until I had some firm info on available dates at Rocklers in Maplewood before I created a March meeting thread, but it sounds like we need to get the discussion going there now. I'll get that one going, too.

Ed

Brian G

Everything is on schedule so far. I made some changes to my process that should make for a better demonstration.

Finishes going on today, then I need to get some Bash entries done.

eajacobson

Hump day reminder - meeting this Sunday at Woodcraft in Bloomington.

Social gathering starts about 12:00 noon and the meeting itself kicks off at 1:00 PM.

Brian is going to have a nice demo for us on Celtic Knots. You won't want to miss it.

There will be a blank swap - drop off a blank when you arrive and draw one when the meeting wraps up.

Hope to see everyone there.

Ed

And, you can get yourself signed up in the February Craft Supplies group buy.

Brian G

Curious if I should include turning a blank in the demo. I can have a tubed blank ready. I haven't asked Woodcraft if I can use their lathe.

stonepecker

I have been told we can use the lathe in the back......just treat it as your own or better. If you are asking.......Please include that in your demo.

See you on Sunday

endacoz

I am hoping to bring a friend that I taught a few weeks ago how to make a pen and he made 2 that day! Trying to get him hooked. If he comes I will bring an extra blank for him to participate in the mystery bag trade thingy.

I'll shoot to be there by 12:45

Looking forward to the demo with fellow turners!

Brian G

I'll have a few extra blanks in the bag, so if somebody forgets or we have extra people, there will be a blank for everyone.

stonepecker

Thoughts about yesterday

We had another GREAT MEETING ..... everyone that was there walked away with at least one pen blank. (I was lucky enough to get a stabilized black palm blank) I don't believe anyone left disappointed. To the guys that brought extra for everyone........THANK YOU! I am happy to say that it sounds like the 'group buy' is going very well. I will repeat that my personal opinion is that this needs to be 'timed' better as to not interfer with the BASH.

Jeff talked about getting the best blank from wood pieces we are working with. He gave me a different outlook to this issue. I always felt we should get the most from the wood we buy. Jeff showed me how to get the best blank. Yes, I got some more wood.

Brian's demo was top notch. Lots of information. I think that everyone walked away feeling that these knots are something we can do. I know besides myself .....2 others expressed to me that they never thought of doing it 'that way'. And like I said, that is one way......Brian's way..... And that they need to find what works the best for them.
One of the biggest things from yesterdays demo was listening to Brian tell how he drilled his blanks. But more improtant was how he fixed being just that 'hair off' center. For those that were not there. Split point drill bits are his answer.

Thanks to everyone that was there and I hope to see you all and even more (bring guests) at the March meeting in Maplewood.

Attachments

• 100_2459.jpg
    100_2459.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_2460.jpg
    100_2460.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_2461.jpg
    100_2461.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_2462.jpg
    100_2462.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Brian G

I was not praying in that first picture! Horizontal pen turning adds to the challenge, too. :wink:

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm, and great questions. The store patrons that walked through before we started made me feel a little like a celebrity. Sorry that I didn't get as much time to socialize while I was setting up and talking with them.

Top Bottom