IAP...MN Fall Meetig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eajacobson

Another item that came out of the April meeting was that monthly meetings over the Summer aren't likely a good idea, so we are not planning to any until "Fall". When is that? Well, you tell "us". Do we start in September? October? November? It might sound like a long ways off, but Summer is just about over, or that is what we are going to be saying in no time at all.

Post what your thoughts are for when we should resume. Any thoughts for a demo (or even a list of them to get the whole season mapped out). Any other comments on what we should plan to continue the progress we've got going.

Thanks,
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

I believe that we talked about the first fall meeting being "penaplooza".
THAT happens in Nov at the Woodcraft store.
Now if you want to start before that, be sure to post it for guys like me who will be working till the weather turns.

Hope that everyone has a great spring....summer....fall.

eajacobson

Wayne,

Yes, I know there had been an idea tossed about starting with Penaplooza, but just checking to see if folks would like to start earlier than that or not. Do we want to have a meeting before to go over anything (or practice a demo to the group before you demo to the customers?). Also, do we want to have a meeting the day of or the weekend of Penaplooza, or would it be a weekend afterwards?

Not directing, just asking.

...and, if you are only working until the weather turns - I'm hoping you've only got a few weeks left. I'd like to see this weather turn...warm and dry. :)

Take care,
Ed

I believe that we talked about the first fall meeting being "penaplooza".
THAT happens in Nov at the Woodcraft store.
Now if you want to start before that, be sure to post it for guys like me who will be working till the weather turns.

Hope that everyone has a great spring....summer....fall.

eajacobson

I was at Woodcraft this afternoon, and happened to run across Katherine (Timothy's wife and classroom coordinator, among other duties). Chatted with her regarding meetings this Fall. The only weekend day available in October was Sunday the 11th. We are tentatively booked noon to 3 that day.

Also, Penapalosa is scheduled for November 14th. Nothing confirmed for demos, but if anyone is interested, I would say to get in touch with Woodcraft.

Sunday the 15th is currently available, but I didn't book it yet. Do we want a meeting the same weekend as Penapalosa?

Brian G

Chris talked to me a few weeks ago about doing a Celtic knot demo again for Penapalooza. I said that I would.

My opinion is to not have a meeting the same weekend as Penapalooza. I think we might want to consider making Penapalooza our November meeting. Plus that might give us an opportunity to expand our participants.

Man. . . where did the summer go? :eek:

Sprung

Penapalooza? Hadn't heard of it before, but since it's on a Saturday, I might actually be able to sneak away for the day and attend, actually meet some other members of IAP, and maybe even see if I can get a few things through my thick skull and learn a thing or two.

Brian G

We're still on for October 11, right?

If so, I think it's too short to plan for a demo. How about this: bring something to show and tell that you did over the summer. Wayne has a new cork pen he should show us.

Looking forward to seeing everybody again.

eajacobson

Oct 11 is still a date on the calendar for us. I can be there, if anyone else is - providing work doesn't call - I'm on-call this week and weekend.

What say the group? Wayne and Doug are unavailable. Anyone available and interested in showing up? Brian? Matthew?

Sprung

Even though we'll be just getting back from vacation, I'm hoping to make it to Penapalooza in November, since it's on a Saturday. Can't make it this Sunday - Sundays are perpetually out for me. Someday I'll get to meet some of y'all! (Actually, next week I get to meet Wayne as he's stopping by to pick up some blanks from me when he's on his way through.)

eajacobson

It indeed is looking like only a couple of us. I, too, could use the weather outside, but if there are more that will attend, I will, too. We need to make a go/no-go pick soon.

On a related note, I just got a note from Katherine at Woodcraft today regarding Nov 15th. That would be the Sunday after Penaploosa. What is the feeling of the group - do we want to meet the day after the event? Anyone else have another "kitchen pass" available for a second day that weekend?

Thanks,
Ed

eajacobson

Oct 11 is not an available meeting date at Woodcraft. I hadn't confirmed it in time.

Again, no meeting this weekend.

That also points out that we need to get our act together for November NOW.

Ed

eajacobson

One other item from Woodcraft - "We do charge a small fee for the room unless you have a Woodcraft employee, who is a member of your association, attending, then it is free."

That is a new one to me. It might have been that Jeff was always setting it up for us anyway, so he knew he would be there. Now that it is more formal (there will be paperwork to sign for the use, too, I believe), it might mean that we will need the employee completely attending the meeting, and not just poking their head in when they can from the sales floor. I'll see if I can stop in and chat direct with either Katherine or Timothy this weekend.

Ed

Brian G

I'd prefer the Penapalooza Saturday to be the main event that weekend, and not have a separate meeting on Sunday. I'd show up on Sunday, but just to say hello to everybody.

I'll be in the store tomorrow the 10th, for the Octoberfest sale.

stonepecker

I'd prefer the Penapalooza Saturday to be the main event that weekend, and not have a separate meeting on Sunday. I'd show up on Sunday, but just to say hello to everybody.

I'll be in the store tomorrow the 10th, for the Octoberfest sale.

Wishing I wasn't so busy so I could attend. I will be at Penaplooza and agree that just a quick meeting would be better for everyone. We can decide where and when the next meeting can take place.
I will be talking to the 'powers that be' up here in St. Cloud and see if we could use the club room up here.

Just a heads up. I am taking to a 'well know turner' of the IAP, that has agreed to come to Minnesota one weekend next year. (In the middle of winter even) He will be giving a demo in St. Cloud on a Saturday and then hopefully another demo on Sunday before returning home. When I have more details worked out, I will post more about this.

Enjoy the sale at Woodcraft and the great weather this weekend everyone.

eajacobson

I saw at least a couple of you in passing at Oktoberfest on Saturday. What we need to do is make sure we are all represented at Penaplooza on November 14. It's a Saturday, and the schedule for the day is still getting filled out, but it sounds like there might be some new attractions, maybe including some folks not from around here.

Please plan to attend at least a bit of the day - stop by and see what others have been doing and get the season off to a good start.

As for a meeting on Sunday the 15th - so far I think the count is only up to three. Nothing big will be planned (if you have something big, let the folks at Woodcraft know so they can include it in Penaplooza). The Sunday would be to catch up with what people have been doing over the summer, and what we would like to plan for the future meetings. If you would attend a Sunday meeting after Penaplooza, please let me know ASAP. We need to iron out the room reservations soon in order to make this work.

Thanks,
Ed

endacoz

i was planning on going the the Penapaluza on the 14th but just realized I will be on a mission trip to Costa Rica. Bummer! I was looking forward to catching up with you guys since our last meeting in April or May.

I will soon be getting into some stabalizing!

eajacobson

Pen-A-Palooza confirmed for the 14th.

IAP Meeting confirmed for the 15th. 12:00 noon, begin gathering, 1:00 start. Planning for the rest of the year - meetings, topics, etc. If you can't be there, but have some ideas for what to do, please pass them along to someone that will be there.

Ed

stonepecker

Pen-A-Palooza confirmed for the 14th.

IAP Meeting confirmed for the 15th. 12:00 noon, begin gathering, 1:00 start. Planning for the rest of the year - meetings, topics, etc. If you can't be there, but have some ideas for what to do, please pass them along to someone that will be there.

Ed

Sadly, I can not commit to being at either one this year. My work has me burried right now and if it continues I will be working right into the first snowfall of the season.

I would like to inform the membership that on the second weekend in Feb a "well known" member of the IAP will be in the Twin Cities/St. Cloud for a demo. This is already confirmed for the St. Cloud Turners. Feb 13th 2016 .... he will be doing a presentation for the local turners club and then giving a more private demo in the afternoon. More information to follow. I have spoken to this gentleman and he is willing to be avaiable to us (IAP Minnesota chapter) on the 14th of Feb for demo/presetation before flying back home.

More details to follow when I am there in person to explain.
I am doing my best to be there but if I can't be. Everyone have a great time..... I will be thinking of you all.

Wayne

Last edited:

Brian G

My work has me burried right now. . .

Not something I want to hear from a monument engraver! :eek:

We'll miss your presence. I'm working on a few tweaks to the Celtic knot demo. I hope they survive.

Marnat3

I will be unable to make it today as life stepped in front of me again. Not a big deal but have to take care of it. Enjoy Pen-a-palooza guys. And I will see you at the next meeting.

Sprung

Unfortunately I'm not there either today. Had hoped to be there and maybe meet some of y'all. But, we overspent on the vacation we just came back from to a large magnitude - bought a minivan as it was a much better deal than anything we'd found locally - and today I have to take advantage of the nice weather to get our car ready for sale...

eajacobson

Sorry to hear that you folks had to miss today.

Remember that there will be a MN Chapter meeting tomorrow, Sunday the 15th. Social gathering starts at 12:00. Meeting itself is at 1:00.

Hope to see a few you tomorrow

Ed

Top Bottom