IAP Collection to Minnesota? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Minnesota
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajacobson View Post
No official announcement yet, but it sounds like Pen-A-Palooza is now Turn-A-Palooza. Same format, but with a wider scope of turning offerings.

Dates are Nov 11-13, with the demos and such happening on Saturday the 12th. Initial thoughts are that it should be fine to have the IAP Collection on display for as much of the event as we wish. I'm assuming that we want someone with it at all times.

I haven't confirmed with Woodcraft, but it looks like the classroom will be used on Sunday the 13th but not Saturday the 12th. Maybe we plan an afternoon meeting on the 12th. The demos usually get done by 1:00 or 2:00 PM. Maybe a 3:00 PM start? Mark, I'm assuming you'd be the featured program. Any idea how long a presentation would take on the IAP Collection? The store closes at 6:00 PM Saturdays. We could see about a dinner at the Davanni's Pizza just up Lyndale. I think they have a meeting room there we can reserve (as long as we have some folks buying dinner).

I hope to make it to Woodcraft this Saturday to talk to a few more of the folks there, as it just so happens the Saturday demo this week is turning a pen. :-)

Again, other than the dates in November and my plans for this Saturday, none of this is confirmed - just highly probable rumors.

Ed
Thanks for the update Ed:

1. I cannot leave until Friday AM (I'll be staying with my Mother Thursday PM after she has a endoscopy & colonoscopy) procedures. So any activities on Friday I will miss.

2. I have booked a room in Eau Claire for Friday night, so it will be a 11 hr drive. Then I will be 2 hr from Bloomington. So I can easily be there by 9AM opening on Saturday.

3. I can take about 1 hr for an overview of the IAP Collection, then maybe have a general discussion. I could also quickly show how I did the Chevron Blanks (anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes); IAP Library now has the tutorial, so this is a secondary topic.

4. As we get closer, I'll make my Saturday and Sunday reservations. Basically I want to be in Chicago on Tuesday to spend time with my sons. So Sunday and Monday are up for discussion.

5. I may scoot up to St Clair for a pair of "Snowshoes" ...

6. The IAP Collection has beautiful locking display cases, so they can be secured, or simply picked up and taken with us if we have a chapter meeting. Display Cases

7. Just a reminder: The Minnesota Chapter can have an in-house contest and donate a pen to the IAP Collection if it chooses.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!

Last edited by mark james; 09-08-2016 at 10:22 AM.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2016, 12:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Mark,

Sounds like a plan. I'm actually hoping to catch one of the Turn-A-Palooza coordinators at the store Friday evening. Should be a good time to chat about the options you are offering.

They are remodeling the store now, and part of that is a new check-out counter in a new location. It is partly done today. Not sure how soon they will remove the old one, but if it survives until November, I think it would make a great place for the display. If not, I'm sure we can work something out.

So about an hour and a half on your presentations? That should work well. As for your Chevron Blanks presentation being on-line - it's always more fun and educational to see it live, at least as far as I'm concerned.

For the pen to add to the collection - does that have to be done by the time you are here, or can we contribute it at a later time? We are still on "Summer break", and usually use the event in November to kick-start the new year.

Thanks!
Ed
eajacobson is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Mark,

Sounds like a plan. I'm actually hoping to catch one of the Turn-A-Palooza coordinators at the store Friday evening. Should be a good time to chat about the options you are offering.

They are remodeling the store now, and part of that is a new check-out counter in a new location. It is partly done today. Not sure how soon they will remove the old one, but if it survives until November, I think it would make a great place for the display. If not, I'm sure we can work something out.

So about an hour and a half on your presentations? That should work well. As for your Chevron Blanks presentation being on-line - it's always more fun and educational to see it live, at least as far as I'm concerned.

For the pen to add to the collection - does that have to be done by the time you are here, or can we contribute it at a later time? We are still on "Summer break", and usually use the event in November to kick-start the new year.

Thanks!
Ed

YES! You can certainly contribute later. This option is simply a way for individual chapters and IAP members who do not compete in the BASH or attend regional gatherings (i.e., MPG) to have an avenue to be part of the collection.

As for space, ideal would be about a 6' long table/counter. 4' is a bit tight but workable, 8' is nice but not necessary (but we can put out flyers for State IAP and IAP membership.

Mark
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!

Last edited by mark james; 09-09-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Interesting, Just came across this. I haven't been very active on this site but I am just a couple hours south of there and regularly visit that Woodcraft so....
Schroedc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

November 12 works for me. Incredibly generous of Mark to plan a road trip to include us.
tah2100 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedc View Post
Interesting, Just came across this. I haven't been very active on this site but I am just a couple hours south of there and regularly visit that Woodcraft so....
Looking forward to meeting you Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tah2100 View Post
November 12 works for me. Incredibly generous of Mark to plan a road trip to include us.
Hi Tom: Actually, it is my pleasure! I have probably met 400-450 IAP members in person as I have displayed the Collection. As much as I enjoy pen turning, making new friends has been an incredible benefit to me personally.

As an on-line forum, IAP is somewhat unique (My opinion only) in that it truly is a "Community". I can drive from Ohio to Maine and California and Florida and Alaska, and set up coffee breaks with IAP members for Breakfast, Lunch and dinner. 5 years ago (pre-IAP membership) I could not say that. And locally, if I needed any help in a wide variety of topics, there are 6-8+ IAP members who have my back! In this day and age, that is something to value.

Hope to shake your hand (and maybe share some coffee)!

Last edited by mark james; 09-13-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have the date in my calendar, can't wait to see the collection and build the community. Safe travels!
tah2100 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Moving forward. I chatted with Woodcraft today, and have sent an email to the organizing group. It is sounding like a display on Saturday and Sunday will work just fine.

Still trying to confirm meeting space for a presentation on the Collection and construction techniques for your pen. They are trying to keep the "seminars and demos" to about 45 minutes. I told them we were planning to go last. The question now is how long the rest of the demos are going to run. It might be to 4:00 or so. That would still give us two hours before closing (and again, I can see about booking a meeting room at a pizza shop just a few blocks away for extended discussion).

I'll post more as I hear it.

Ed
Old 09-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

In ten minutes from when I sent the email out to the organizing group, I got this start of the message back from one of the co-owners: "This is a cool idea!". It sounds like they are as excited as we are!

They are finalizing the final demo of the day, and once that is nailed down they will let me know the time available.

Getting excited to see everyone there, and the IAP Collection!

Ed
Old 09-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 219

Quote:
In ten minutes from when I sent the email out to the organizing group, I got this start of the message back from one of the co-owners: "This is a cool idea!". It sounds like they are as excited as we are!

They are finalizing the final demo of the day, and once that is nailed down they will let me know the time available.

Getting excited to see everyone there, and the IAP Collection!

Ed
As nice as the collection is...it is secondary to meeting its curator. You all have a good time.
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads