IAP Collection to Minnesota? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Welcome to penturners.org! > Local Chapters > Minnesota
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 331

Default IAP Collection to Minnesota?

Hi Folks:

I have chatted with Stonepecker several times about bringing the IAP Collection to The Minnesota Chapter for a display this fall.

He has mentioned doing this in concert with the November "Penapalosa" Event.

I am just getting my calendar set for the rest of 2016, so I could use some help and information.

1. When is the exact date?
2. Where would the location be?
3. If displayed at the "Penapalosa" will there be a separate Chapter meeting?
4. If I do attend, will this end up being mainly for the "Penapalosa" event, and 2-3 IAP members, or might there be a larger IAP contingent. (I'm not totally opposed to just an event showing, but it will be a 1500 mile trip by car or air for me).

If someone in the Bloomington area could give me some feedback I would be grateful. And, if given a contact person/number, I can contact the Woodcraft Store myself if needed.

Cheers, Mark
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Mark,

I don't have the Pen-A-Palooza date at this time. It is typically around the second Saturday of November. I will check with Woodcraft and let you know. I'm trying to include an image from their promotion last year.

Pen-A-Palooza if a local Woodcraft event, where they have a series of pen turning demos covering various topics throughout the day. Several of those are provided by our MN IAP members. We also have at least one active IAP member working at Woodcraft.

The MN IAP chapter has had a meeting on the Sunday of that weekend (with varying success, as some of the members have to travel a fair ways (though nothing like you will do...), and two trips in a weekend is sometimes too many "kitchen pass points".

Ed (about a mile and a half from Woodcraft in Bloomington).

eajacobson is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-30-2016, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

One more note - I just checked the class schedule for November, and both Sunday the 13th and 20th have classes, so a MN IAP meeting on Sunday would need a different location. We'll have to see if holding a meeting later in the day on Saturday of Pen-A-Palooza would be an option (and I suspect that might be more to your liking for travel, too).
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2016, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 331

Hi Ed:

Thank you for the information. Gives me more ability to make plans.

I can adapt my travel plans for whatever is convenient for the IAP members! If they want an extra day, fine. If all will fit into a single day that is also fine. I'm good early and late (as long as Wayne doesn't pull out some "Snowshoes...").

I suspect I will drive, as I have 2 sons in Chicago. I can visit with them coming and going, so the length of the trip is fine with me.

It will be fun to shake some hands from your area, and allow you to see the IAP Collection.

ED: Looking again at the flyer you posted. If the IAP Collection is something the store would like on display starting on Friday, I can certainly be there. I have no issue with cooperating with the hosts if it is of benefit to them (and I just might have some flyers on how to join IAP available...).
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!

Last edited by mark james; 08-30-2016 at 12:48 AM.
mark james is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-30-2016, 01:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 45

I wasn't able to attend penapalooza last year. Shoot, I haven't even been able to attend any of the meetings since I started turning pens and joined IAP. But I am planning to make the trip to there the Saturday of penapalooza. I've had the pleasure of meeting Stonepecker and BrianG and hope to get the chance to meet any others who might be there. If the IAP Collection is there, I would love to see it - I've admired the pens by picture many times and it would be hard to pass up an opportunity to see them in person.
Sprung is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I haven't made it to Penapalooza in years past but I've made other IAP meetings.

If the IAP collection was going to be there, I would be sure to make it. If we were looking for a place to meet on Sunday, I could check with Rockler in Maplewood....
Old 08-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 7

FYI, I think there are about 8-10 active IAP members in or around the Twin Cities (and maybe more).
Old 09-01-2016, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark james View Post
Hi Ed:

Thank you for the information. Gives me more ability to make plans.

I can adapt my travel plans for whatever is convenient for the IAP members! If they want an extra day, fine. If all will fit into a single day that is also fine. I'm good early and late (as long as Wayne doesn't pull out some "Snowshoes...").

I suspect I will drive, as I have 2 sons in Chicago. I can visit with them coming and going, so the length of the trip is fine with me.

It will be fun to shake some hands from your area, and allow you to see the IAP Collection.

ED: Looking again at the flyer you posted. If the IAP Collection is something the store would like on display starting on Friday, I can certainly be there. I have no issue with cooperating with the hosts if it is of benefit to them (and I just might have some flyers on how to join IAP available...).
Mark, that was the 2015 flyer.

I wonder if we could convince Woodcraft to have you talk about the IAP Collection as part of the schedule of events. I've done demos the past two years, but they haven't contacted me yet.

If the MN IAP contingent is a small number, I could probably host a gathering. I can't commit just yet, because I don't know what shape my shop will be in until I finish my basement renovation.
Brian G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankulwicki7 View Post
FYI, I think there are about 8-10 active IAP members in or around the Twin Cities (and maybe more).

My thoughts are that if the collection is there, people will drive in to see it.
Active members? I think Minnesota has a bunch of silent members. I don't know what it takes to get them to come out of the shadows. I do know that we have had some great demos......interesting talks.....wonderful swaps..... and the cookies and lunches have been faboulous.
The people that have been to the meetings are a great bunch of guys. Willing to share information and ideas anytime.

What we need is a 'home base' that cares about us also. The Minnesota Chapter is a fun group. No Dues.....No expectations....No Drama. We all just love pen turning and the other people that love pens also. Yes we all make other 'things' and we share them between us. That is part of what makes the IAP and our chapter fun.

Looking forward to seeing Mark and the collection. He has a endless knowledge of the collection. I am sure the showing and his explaining will be a great addition to the Pen-a-Palooza

JMHO

"Don't go riding on that long black train."
stonepecker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

No official announcement yet, but it sounds like Pen-A-Palooza is now Turn-A-Palooza. Same format, but with a wider scope of turning offerings.

Dates are Nov 11-13, with the demos and such happening on Saturday the 12th. Initial thoughts are that it should be fine to have the IAP Collection on display for as much of the event as we wish. I'm assuming that we want someone with it at all times.

I haven't confirmed with Woodcraft, but it looks like the classroom will be used on Sunday the 13th but not Saturday the 12th. Maybe we plan an afternoon meeting on the 12th. The demos usually get done by 1:00 or 2:00 PM. Maybe a 3:00 PM start? Mark, I'm assuming you'd be the featured program. Any idea how long a presentation would take on the IAP Collection? The store closes at 6:00 PM Saturdays. We could see about a dinner at the Davanni's Pizza just up Lyndale. I think they have a meeting room there we can reserve (as long as we have some folks buying dinner).

I hope to make it to Woodcraft this Saturday to talk to a few more of the folks there, as it just so happens the Saturday demo this week is turning a pen. :-)

Again, other than the dates in November and my plans for this Saturday, none of this is confirmed - just highly probable rumors.

Ed
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads