MPG 2013, Too soon?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Really I would like to ask for comments and criticisms that would improve next years event while this one is fresh in everyone's mind.
My ideas so far;
Anyone active, or is the AAW Principally Pens chapter still going? Wouldn't hurt to work with them.
Do you think we could get sponsorship to bring in a celebraty penturner? Is there someone I should consider? Would you pay to attend if we did bring in a hired gun?
Longer hours for Friday, shorter for Saturday? Last demo over at 4:00? It's tough for some of us older guys to stay at it till almost 6:00. I'm not the best judge of this since I struggle with some fatigue issues from time to time.
I'll work to get some more vendors. I love seeing the product in person.
Catered food or food truck? Catered would require that food tickets would be purchased in advance.
Anyone else? Private mail me if you would like your criticisms kept private. My skin isn't that thick, but I want as many as possible to enjoy the event.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
I think this year was great. Maybe more vendors. Friday was good but maybe a round table set up to introduce yourself earlier before a lot of people leave. Next year I will take a table and sell clay and the products needed to make pens from clay, including canes. I also got tired, but didn't want to leave and miss anything.

thewishman

Rich, the MPG 2012 was great! The variety of topics and demos were broad, there were vendors for several different products and time for people to visit. Loved the casual talking Friday night!

Planning for 2013, in a perfect world:

A spot (separate room?) for people to talk so we wouldn't disturb the demos

Some small hands-on demos where people could demonstrate tools or techniques

soligen

Rich, the MPG 2012 was great! The variety of topics and demos were broad, there were vendors for several different products and time for people to visit. Loved the casual talking Friday night!

Planning for 2013, in a perfect world:

A spot (separate room?) for people to talk so we wouldn't disturb the demos

Some small hands-on demos where people could demonstrate tools or techniques

I agree with all said here. It was a great experience.

In my car on the way home we came up with the same suggestion. Vendors is a separate room and with some tables and chairs set up for improper discussion without disturbing the demos.

I also think it would be OK to change some fee to cover expenses. I doubt $10 would keep anyone away - the weekend was certainly worth more than that!

Might there be interest in doing a NATIONAL meeting that would be 3 days and would rotate areas of the country each year? This looks like a wonderful meeting but the location/ area is not the best for some. The idea of doing the same type of thing but maybe be in Las Vegas one year, Orlando or Atlanta the next year, etc. any interest?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If attendance continues to grow, a separate room for vendors MIGHT be good. Just so there is no "conversation" in the back of the room, making it hard for the last few rows to hear. Although I thought the sound system overcame nearly all the "vendor noise".

Of course that could also be accomplished with a couple "pro-wall panels" that were well positioned.

I thought it was very well organized, especially considering you did it all pretty single-handed, Rich!!

Eric's sound and video was excellent.

Next year get taller demonstrators (the lathe is FINE, the people are too short:biggrin::biggrin::frown::frown:)

Buzzzz4

It really came together well. The demos were fantastic. Also, I'm a little biased to this, but the sound and video really did make the difference over last year. I hope to record the demos next year. Although I think we could work on lighting it differently and possibly getting the video behind the lathe.

For food, it may be beneficial to have a food vendor or two. I found many people scrounging for drinks/snacks.

I like having the vendors in the same room as the demos as it gives the attending a minute to stretch between demos to look at things, and we can get the group back together quite quickly for the next demo. A sound wall could be beneficial to keep them close by.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to put together a committee to put this event on. It is a lot for one or two people to plan and cover all of the details.

Thanks Rich!!!

low_48

I think I just felt a shiver run down my spine. I would want nothing to do with organizing that! It would probably kill me! On the opposite side of the coin, I would attend for sure!

Rich

Might there be interest in doing a NATIONAL meeting that would be 3 days and would rotate areas of the country each year? This looks like a wonderful meeting but the location/ area is not the best for some. The idea of doing the same type of thing but maybe be in Las Vegas one year, Orlando or Atlanta the next year, etc. any interest?

Definately would need to be a group/committee working on it.

I think I just felt a shiver run down my spine. I would want nothing to do with organizing that! It would probably kill me! On the opposite side of the coin, I would attend for sure!

Rich

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I do feel bad for the folks who can't make it to IL. They are missing out on a wonderful experience in terms of both knowledge and networking. It would be nice to find a way to make the MPG, or a similer event available to more people.

bubbamorse

It really came together well. The demos were fantastic. Also, I'm a little biased to this, but the sound and video really did make the difference over last year. I hope to record the demos next year. Although I think we could work on lighting it differently and possibly getting the video behind the lathe.

For food, it may be beneficial to have a food vendor or two. I found many people scrounging for drinks/snacks.

I like having the vendors in the same room as the demos as it gives the attending a minute to stretch between demos to look at things, and we can get the group back together quite quickly for the next demo. A sound wall could be beneficial to keep them close by.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to put together a committee to put this event on. It is a lot for one or two people to plan and cover all of the details.

Thanks Rich!!!

I'll volunteer to help out getting the next one planned and prepared.

bubbamorse

I do feel bad for the folks who can't make it to IL. They are missing out on a wonderful experience in terms of both knowledge and networking. It would be nice to find a way to make the MPG, or a similer event available to more people.

Only way I see getting a broader audience is for it to move it around from city to city every year, then it's no longer the MPG...but the IAP US Convention (which is fine with me). However, the flip-side to that coin is that it's possible folks will only attend when it's in a 500 mile radius of them, so there is a possibility there won't be that much larger of an audience...but then again we're a pretty die hard group, so maybe it'll just grow. :biggrin:

Having it in Vegas might work...the flights there are cheap ($200/round-trip from Chicago), as are hotel rooms ($69.00/Night) for a decent room. If there is sincere interest I can look into costs, etc.

cozee

For those who would like to see an event like this in your area, there is a very simple answer. You host something!!!!!

How do you think the MPG started anyway? There was no event like it, nowhere, dedicated to nothing but penturning. A single penturner desired to see something as such and so their desire was set into motion. They wanted to see fellow penturners get together for a day and share the passion that joined them is what ignited this event and continued to fuel it's growth. It was purposed to be a "free" event, by penturners, for penturners, and had continued to be such. Any out of pocket expenses were absorbed by the host simply because they felt the little expense it cost them was far less than the value of the knowledge and friendship experiences gained at each event. It would be sad thing to see a price attached to such an experience but since the MPG has been handed over to Rich, he has been free to take the event any direction he so chooses.

Keep up the good work Rich.

If it wasn't for the birth of Terrence's 4th child late Friday afternoon, I was planning on coming over that evening. Oh well, maybe next year. (Yes, I am getting the itch to turn pens again!!!)

Last edited:

warthog

I have been a taxidermist for 50 years and have just recently gotten into penturning. Anyway...with the taxidermist...it seemed that having the convention centrally located was the best way to do things. Yeah...those people with in close proximity will have it made...but if you were to hold it in lets say Las Vegas...I don't think there would be that big a show out...and that is because of the cost of things when you do get there. I don't know about the rest of you...but this retired person can't afford a lot. Vegas would be out for me for sure. You can fly there cheap enough but what about all the expenses once you get there? Just my two cents worth. If it helps...that would be great...if not hey.

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
I agree with Cozee. If you want a gathering in your area, put one on. Promote it, form a committee to work on it and, there may be gatherings all over the world. I likewise will help in any way I can for next year.

monty8867

I was planning on attending but had to cancel at the last moment. I was going to spend 4 .5 hours on the road (round trip) and would only be able to stay 3 hours.
Could I suggest the quad cities next year. Good airport in the area (Moline) and plenty of potential sites. We have a very strong wood turners club, Quad Cities Wood turners.

I think a separate area for vendors is a great idea! I found myself in the middle of brousing your space, when they annnounced the next demo starting, I found myself leaving on several occasions to do so. Not taht i wanted to leave cuz the demo was more appealing, just that I didnt want to be rude and shop while the demonstrator was doing what they worked so hard to do. Had there been a separate room, I could have chosen my least preferred demo to spend in your space.

QUOTE=ed4copies;1393294]If attendance continues to grow, a separate room for vendors MIGHT be good. Just so there is no "conversation" in the back of the room, making it hard for the last few rows to hear. Although I thought the sound system overcame nearly all the "vendor noise".

Of course that could also be accomplished with a couple "pro-wall panels" that were well positioned.

I thought it was very well organized, especially considering you did it all pretty single-handed, Rich!!

Eric's sound and video was excellent.

Next year get taller demonstrators (the lathe is FINE, the people are too short:biggrin::biggrin::frown::frown:)[/QUOTE]

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Before a national event is planned (which will suck dry all the energy out of the organization), I'd suggest the various chapters in different parts of the contry (world?) band togehter and sponsor a series of regional gatherings. If they persist for a couple of years, then talk about an national (international?) event.

M

muhlstadtb

Leave the location alone. It started in Illinois and should stay there. It is the MIDWEST Penturner's Gathering not a national event. I agree with those who said that if other areas want such a gathering then plan them where they are wanted.

Bob

grb

Thought the show was great! Liked the Friday & Saturday dates. I took a day off work to attend. To me it was worth the vacation day that I used.

Meal process needs to be improved although I could live a long time without eating.

As long as the PA is used the sideline discussions were not much of a distraction. I do agree that the vendors need to be close enough to visit between demos.

I don't think a lot longer show would benefit me very much. What's new and specialty techniques are always informative. A little more discussion on marketing techniques and specialty pens people use to market their products would be beneficial.

PenPal

MPG,

Couple of comments from 7000 miles away.

Two friends of mine were pathfinders previously named (Cozee) Greg and Don Nicholas who had a ball running most a successful MPG I remember Don organised prizes etc and I spoke to them and others on Skype at that previous MPG.

My understanding was Don also sent valuable material to assist with this one as well to Rich.

My guess is these two guys and many more previous workers could shed light on future gatherings I know the low cost can be acheived with thought and local help.

ADmiration from me to those with helpful notions in keeping it where is why is otherwise it turns into a convention so enormous it defeats the original mentors vision.

Hello again to Cozee and Don thanks to Rich (low_48).

Welcome to the task of running anything been there still doing this like to share.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom