2 and 3. Curtis Seebeck (Mesquiteman) -- Stabilizing
4. Rich Coers (Low48) -- Penturning 101 and Sharpening
5. Bob Jackson (Bobjackson) -- Polymer Clay
6. Jonathon Brooks (Brooks803) -- Casting
7. Jeff -- Presenting the IAP
8. Mike Broberg (mbroberg) -- Drilling on the Lathe and Turning Between Centers
9. The MPG crowd
10. Gerry Wilhite and Ed Brown (ed4copies) -- Nibs

(not pictured Alex (Zanderpommo)--Snakeskin casting)

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

Beginner/Kit Pen Contest

1st Place Rose Heightman
2nd Place Jonathon Brooks
3rd Place Scott Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:

Buzzzz4

Intermediate - Modified Kit Contest

1st place and Best in Show -- Glenn McCullough
2nd Place -- Gary Nicholls
3rd Place -- Greg Jacobson

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:

Buzzzz4

Advanced Pen / Open Class

1st Place -- Jonathon Brooks
2nd Place -- Dennis Cabell (Soligen)
3rd Place -- Brian Berchtold

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 451
  • Soligen.jpg
    Soligen.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Eric, good job on the pictures, and thanks for all your help with the demos. Thanks to your help, the demos were easier to do, and better to be seen by the audience.

boxerman

Those are some very nice pens. Interested in how Glenn made that pen. Like to hear a little detail about. Sure wish i was there.

Brooks803

Congrats to all who won in the contests! Glenn, you definitely deserved best in show with your entry!! It was beautiful and pictures don't do it justice.

I still can't believe I won 1st in the advanced contest :biggrin:

Also a BIG thank you to Eric for handling all the visual and audio aids! Without it we would have all been lost during the demos. Plus no one who couldn't make it would know this in fact did take place. "No pics, didn't happen" and all :rolleyes:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
MPG Photos from Jeff

Just getting my camera unloaded.

SETUP
SetUp1.JPG

MORE SETUP
SetUp2.JPG

RICH'S TABLE
RichTable.JPG

CURTIS'S TABLE
CurtisTable.JPG

ED'S DEMO
EdDemo.JPG

GERRY's DEMO
GerryDemo.JPG

Shhhhhhh! JUDGING!
Judges.JPG

mpg PEN DESCRIPTION (modified pen category)

Having had a few requests for a description of how this pen was made, it is a modified Churchill. I have to clarify that this is not my original design, it is my replica of a birthday pen that was made for me a couple years ago by Richard Kleinhenz and Angelo Iafrate of the Penmakers Guild. Their version was inspired by a pen by "Krone" of the Moby Dick title.
Krone Moby Dick Limited Edition At JOON New York
In awe when I opened it, I had to figure out how to make it and did my own version of it. I then took my pen to the studio of Jim Clary, an artist who does incredible paintings of ships and boats as well as being an expert on the Titanic. His paintings often sell for $30 and 40 thousand dollars. I connected with him and we did a limited edition series of pens to sell in his gallery, using his original pen and ink drawing of the Titanic, with it's captain in the foreground, done with all dots of india ink. after the body was done, I send it to Kallenshaan Woods to have the image engraved. The body was turned from alternative ivory and the raised "rope" lines were carved with a jewelers file. We used his favorite wood, zebrawood on the cap and post finial, figuring how to drill the right depth and turn the proper diameter to hold the rope was the most challenging. The rope is done with fishing line I had in an old tackle box my father left to me after his passing. Then I had to put the cap finial in the collet chuck, turn it down so I could fit it in the cap and still have the threads and room for material to turn, so the original cap finial is under the wood. we topped it off with a cabachon on the cap top that has Clary's logo engraved in it.

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Glenn, your pen is beautiful. I really think you need to make its own thread for it though in the SOYP especially now that its on the front page. Congrats on that by the way. Maybe a few more photos and some close ups would be great. This pen deserves more limelight than one pic on the first page and a description on the second page of the MPG thread IMHO.

MartinPens

Thanks fo the photos! Wish I could have attended. Congrats Greg on your prize for a cigar pen. They are fun to make aren't they? Glad to see some IAP hats which turned out great. When can we get some penturning action on the west coast! Thanks for all the photos. Great to put some faces with names.

Johnathan,
YOu did an exceptional job on both your entries, especially the pint size kitless. I expect to see a sea of small size replicas being shown here soon. It was especially nice to see and hold it in person, gives one a better "feel" for how it was done.

Congrats to all who won in the contests! Glenn, you definitely deserved best in show with your entry!! It was beautiful and pictures don't do it justice.

Also a BIG thank you to Eric for handling all the visual and audio aids! Without it we would have all been lost during the demos. Plus no one who couldn't make it would know this in fact did take place. "No pics, didn't happen" and all :rolleyes:

Brooks803

I am glad Johnathan's blanks are better than his handwritting!

Lol...Thanks Ed. I'm glad too, bc a 1st grader has better handwriting than me :redface:

Johnathan,
YOu did an exceptional job on both your entries, especially the pint size kitless. I expect to see a sea of small size replicas being shown here soon. It was especially nice to see and hold it in person, gives one a better "feel" for how it was done.

Thanks Glen! I still think yours was the coolest. Best in show was a VERY fitting title for it. It'd be cool to see what others come up with as far as the mini FP's go. But yeah, you really do have to hold it in your hand to really understand how nice it feels.

eupher58

Thanks Martin, Yeah it was a fun project, first closed end, spent about 8 hours between making pin chucks and actually turning. Tight fit between upper and lower gets a bit tricky!

RichB

The photos look great. Nice to relate a name with the actual person we talk to on here all the time. Question, who got the Oxford pen in the PITH exchange? The pen components for the Oxford are not made anymore and I have some so I thought it would be a good PITH pen. I never got to talk to the person. Thanks RichB

Top Bottom