MPG 2012 demos, 3rd appeal, an act of desperation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Folks, I've made two posts about demo help, this is the third. The last appeal yielded no additional volunteers. If I can't get more help, Friday afternoon/evening will just have to be a social event. I only have 6 demos right now, and that is if I do two. I had hoped to have at least 9 or 10 demos, a couple being shorter, 30-40 minute subjects. I'm real hesitant to personally do more than two demos, some people may not like me that much! Besides, I'm a wood guy, and there isn't that many wild techniques to show on wood. I may have to hire a magic act or two! Birthday clowns? I added the list that I've shown before. Any help?

"I posted this on Jan 30, and only had one private message offer from Pat Ankrom. HELP, PLEASE!!!!!!! I'm not sure I can organize this whole thing, try and sell some blanks, and do multiple demos. I haven't gotten a firm title on Ed Brown's demo, but he has also volunteered to help. You don't have to actually turn in your demo if you are hesitant to do that in front of a crowd. Many subjects can be described with samples, handouts, power point presentations, etc......."

Polymer clay Bob Jackson (bobjackson)
Production pen turning Gerry Wilhite (Chasper)
Penturning 101, getting started Rich Coers (low_48)
Turning jewelry (maybe) Rich Coers (low_48)
Penturning between centers
Casting worthless wood Pat Ankrom, new volunteer
Laser cutout kits
How to choose casting materials and their characteristics
Casting 101
Successful booth selling and setups
Using carbide tipped tools
Pen platings and choosing kits
Kitless pens
Photography
Fountain Pens and upgrades
Hidden/Invisible clips
Decals
Custom Finials
Inlays
Other things we make, open to any turned objects"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

Sent ya a PM. To those who are hesitant or think they don't have anything to offer, think again. The group at the MPG is a wonderful group to demo in front of. You can do simple things as this group doesn't know everything and you may have tricks that you think are common knowledge which aren't. Give it a go and show us what you've got.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Rich,

I'll send you a PM. I would consider a demo. I've been a bit afraid to jump in because of my jinx with meetings. I didn't want to sign up than leave you short, but since your short anyway...

Now to figure out what would be a good demo that I could handle ....

ZanderPommo

Rich, I should be able to make it Saturday (I'd love to that is, and barring any exigent circumstances I will be) but I'm not sure what I could do to help?
maybe demo snakeskin casting?
or another CA demo?
maybe CA/mica gap filling...?
or if those sound appealing all of the above. please let me know what I can do to help!

Brooks803

Rich, I haven't solidified my plans yet but I hope to by the end of the month. I'll be flying so I can't bring much. I'd be happy to talk about casting materials and maybe if someone can volunteer some supplies I'd do a quick casting demo. PR preferrably since alumilites requires a pressure pot and air compressor.

As soon as I know exactly what my plans are I'll PM you and we'll figure something out.

Buzzzz4

Jonathon, I'm driving and can bring supplies. I have Silmar I am not using. Let me know what else you might need if Rich is good with you doing a demo.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have volunteered and am enthusiastic about demoing---I always enjoy it.

Problem is, I don't know what level the crowd will be. Should we be demoing the basic,
"Here's how to make a pen"? or is this a more advanced group.

So, my question is, "What would you like to see done?"

Nib removal and simple adjust?

Closed end?

Other ideas?

low_48

I feel much better today, thanks so much for the replies. I'll be getting back with each one of you. We need to establish the exact title of each of your demos, and what time of day you would prefer.
For the casting guys, I'm not sure we have to add catalyst and stir up a batch. The PR smell would quickly run through the building. I suggest that finished samples and explanations would cover the subject very well. If necessary, stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 samples to show the progression, but not actually pouring materials. Tips and techniques are what I think everyone likes.
As far as experience levels. Last year we stayed on an intermediate/advanced level with many of the subjects. Saying that, I think some subjects on techniques can start out as basic info, but then get to why you are taking this new method to do work that is more advanced. You know, "this is a standard kit, but I got tired of the repetition. Now I am doing this custom work or technique................." I know that some of the locals had not done many pens, if any last year. I know this year, some members of my local turning club will be coming and they have never turned a pen. I want at least one demo on Saturday morning for the beginners. Then most of the demos after that can lead to why you are using a technique to make a more professional or unique product. The 101 demo can be announced as such, and letting the more advanced crowd continue to shop with respect to noise levels for everyone else.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!! The birthday clown idea is now on stand down, sigh of relief!

ZanderPommo

If theres a drill press along with the lathe, and you are interested, I could also do a 1 piece cigar demo?

still trying to think of things that will be useful to others

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd be happy to do Penturning 101 (with wood) half hour

and/or Penturning 201 (with resin) hourish

And/or a quicky "Nibs DO come out"---and go back in. half hour

The penturnings can be longer (with insert tubes, glue dispersion, paint, etc) or shorter (slap on the lathe and spin)

Just decide what ya want, I can bring up to three lathes, if you need them (Jet minis)

biednick

I would love to help, but i cant make it. I could put together a presentation for you but I wouldnt be able to be there in person.

RosezPenZ

I found someone to work for me so I am looking forward to coming!!

Ed Brown, I finally checked our your web site. WOW, I hope your bring some of your items to sell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom